Epidendrum Thomas Ott

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

Hi!

I thought I'd share some photos of an Epidendrum that is currently blooming for me. This one is Epidendrum Thomas Ott, which is pseudepidendrum crossed with melanoporphyreum. The latter species is very similar to pseudoepidendrum in shape but has a purple lip. I purchased a compot of this cross from Tropical Orchid Farm in Maui a few years back and managed to grow five of them to flowering size. They all look pretty much alike. I tried my best with my little digi-cam to take photos. The auto-focus wasn't cooperating with me.

Close Up:

IMG_0252a.jpg

Entire inforescence:

IMG_0243a.jpg

Entire plant:

IMG_0245a.jpg

This plant is actually in a four-inch plastic pot growing in fine fir bark with a few styrofoam chips at the bottom. I placed it into an eight-inch ceramic pot for photography. I grow it in dappled light and water it once a week. The sun causes the leaves to darken up quite a bit. The under sides of each leaf are a very beautiful purple. This plant blooms at least once per year.

Thank you for looking at my thread.

Best Regards,
Nik

W O W!!!! These flowers are incredible!!!!! Fantastic colouration and very interesting shape!!!

Do you know if there is someone in Europe selling this???? TY...:D
biothanasis,

I doubt that this exact cross is available right now. It was probably only made once and various orchid nurseries in the United States had them available a few years back. But i have seen other Epi. pseudoepidendrum crosses available on occasion. Check with your European sources. Please note that pseudoepidendrum tends to grow large. One of the other plants of Thomas Ott that I have in my greenhouse has stems that are over 30 inches tall (76cm). Look for the other parent to be smaller in order to keep the hybrid of a manageable size.

Best Regards,
Nik

Latest posts

Back