Efficiency Advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah right...

Heather said:
I don't know how permanent this is going to be, probably at least the next 6 mos.
Which in human years = 3 weeks. :rollhappy:
H, Not counting the start-up energy [BTW, which in lights is really miniscule] the flourescents are more efficient. Additionally so, since they don't draw motor energy to move on a track. Also if they're in a spectrum range for plants that's also a benefit. Remember though, after time the lights lose their ability to maintain light in those spectrums. E.

For *efficiency*, you'd want to examine how much light (lumens or footcandles or lux) you are getting per unit of input energy (watt). This IMO is the best way to determine what you're after. Simply considering how much energy you're pouring in is an oversimplification. Bulb packages have rated output on them usually, but your best bet is to measure light at the distance the plants will be. You will see a big difference even between different bulbs of the same format (ie a cool white vs a daylight CFL ,or a red-enhanced MH vs traditional MH). I once got into a long e-mail back and forth with a customer about this. Something about T8s vs T12s- companies market T8's as energy efficient because they give more *light per watt* than T12s, BUT in many (not all) cases you get more *light* from a 4', 40 watt T12 than the same length 32 or 34 watt T8. you just gotta shop around.

-Ernie

Heather said:
No, I definitely need lights Eric, the plants are going to be in the basement.

So, I finally had a chance to look at my CFLs as I was dismantelling my cart. 42W. So, that changes things a bit. I still would prefer to grow under the MH on a moving light rail though....

Sure, who wouldn't rather drive a Lexus?

okay.

I've gotten up 12 42W cfls and that's about 504W.

This is an interim situation. What I want to know is, who thinks the 400W MH lamp on a light rail track would be better?

Similar wattage but better light?

If the majority says MH, I'm going to seriously start bugging Dr. Rob (Littlefrog) to send me the light rail he told me he had available months ago...*grin*

I personally think:
  • you should use the MH, I grow a bunch of things under florwscent tubes, but things seem to do better under my HID light.
  • you should start buggin Rob about the light rail (becasue he said he'd ship me the other one!)

Kyle

I haven't used MH lights personally, but one of the reasons for why I decided to use Pc (power compact) bulbs on my reef tank was the lenght of use....PC's and CF's last for at least a year....MH have to be changed every 6 months. They may still look bright, but they lose a lot of output as they are used. I haven't seen these for plant growing yet, but the new T5 flourescent bulbs are getting very popular for reef keeping...they are the same length as normal flourescents, but so skinny you can put up to eight bulbs in a fixture that would hold 4 normals, and they are at least as bright as power compacts...Take care, Eric

Kyle said:
I personally think:
  • you should use the MH, I grow a bunch of things under florwscent tubes, but things seem to do better under my HID light.
  • you should start buggin Rob about the light rail (becasue he said he'd ship me the other one!)

Kyle

Geez... I've got a 3.5 month and 3.5 year old kid at home and I barely sleep, much less ship things... :poke:

Actually, I only ever seem to remember to even think about it when I'm at work, and the stuff is at home. I have a show this weekend, but I'll try to get at least heather's out next weekend. I've no doubt said that before.

Latest posts

Back