Dtps Firecracker 'Blue Martini'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The color is beautiful! I've known other growers that have gotten terminal spikes also. The keiki paste should work on the nodes of the spike. If you get basal growth, that's great, too! good luck! Keep us posted on how it's doing! ;)

Dot,

Was the Phal. a mericlone, by any chance? Still wondering (out loud) if this has anything to do with the cloning process used by some sources. Or if this is cultural.

charlie c
Charlie, I did ask Bill today if he remembered this plant. He did: It was Phal. Rosamund Collins, and was indeed a clone.

You may be on to something!

Charlie, I did ask Bill today if he remembered this plant. He did: It was Phal. Rosamund Collins, and was indeed a clone.

You may be on to something!

Dot,

Thanks your effort and for the info. Helps confirm a niggling suspicion I've had. Not sure what, as consumers, we all can do with it. Maybe just add it to the litany of reasons to steer clear of cloned plant material that originates from some offshore sources. On the other hand maybe it's just the price you pay for what, at first blush, seems to be cost effective products.

Ahh for the days of more in-country growers and breeders of Phals who do their own lab work and count on the repeat business that comes from producing quality plant material.

charlie c

I sure agree with you Charlie. There still are a few Phal hybridizers around, but it's really hard for them to compete with sources for the big box stores. These stores can have cheap throw-away Phals that the purchasers don't care if they can bloom them again or not. The result that makes it difficult for the orchid lovers to get quality plants that are different from anyone else's.

Thought I'd post a little update, I noticed a basal keiki a few days ago. Will be interesting to see if the daughter plant does the same thing or if it'll develop regular spikes.

Back