Dinotefuran

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I bring in all the plants from outside Into the greenhouse or into the house. I have always treated with Orthene. I am still seeing some mealy bugs after two treatments. Sam Tsui told me Safari was the best and I have never alternated Orthene and Safari…mostly because of the huge price difference.
Dinotefuran is the active ingredient in Safari-20% $139.40 for 12 ounces.
Dinotefuran is the active ingredient in Alpine-40% $88.87 for 200 grams
Dinotefuran is the active ingredient in Venom-70% $204.24 for 1 pound
Problem is Alpine and Venom have no usage for ornamentals (Orchids)
This post is not about what everyone is using…unless you have used Dinotefuran.
Orthene is probably the most commonly used, it is effective, and certainly the cheapest.
Does anyone have any usage recommendations for Safari, Alpine or Venom?? Of the 3 Safari is the most common but the other 2 (cheaper) don’t have usage listed for Ornamentals!!

I have found that wetting all exposed surfaces and drenching the medium with Acephate 3 times at one-week intervals is effective. Been using it for decades.

I have Safari in my rotation. I use 1.5tsp/gallon with about 2 weeks intervals. Safari is 20% Dinotefuran. I am not sure about the others you listed but the percentage of dinotefuran would likely factor in figuring out the safe dosage for orchids.

I have found that wetting all exposed surfaces and drenching the medium with Acephate 3 times at one-week intervals is effective. Been using it for decades.
Ray. What’s your drenching technique? Do you pre mix and just pour through with a watering can? Or do you have a pump setup?

How many plants do you need to treat?

I have Safari in my rotation. I use 1.5tsp/gallon with about 2 weeks intervals. Safari is 20% Dinotefuran. I am not sure about the others you listed but the percentage of dinotefuran would likely factor in figuring out the safe dosage for orchids.
Thanks Dj,
That is what I was wanting to know, dosage amounts. the other two products and Safari are off of "Do Your Own"pest controls website. Safari is expensive, but, Alpine 40% at $88.87 for 200 grams would not be near as bad. Since Alpine is twice as strong as Safari, you are dosing at 1.5 tsp\gallon with Safari---3\4 tsp\gallon for Alpine??? Anyone have any comments?

Ray. What’s your drenching technique? Do you pre mix and just pour through with a watering can? Or do you have a pump setup?

How many plants do you need to treat?
Rich, I use an Ortho Dial-and-Spray hose-end sprayer. All my plants live in close proximity on rolling carts, so whenever I use anything, they all get treated.
Thanks Dj,
That is what I was wanting to know, dosage amounts. the other two products and Safari are off of "Do Your Own"pest controls website. Safari is expensive, but, Alpine 40% at $88.87 for 200 grams would not be near as bad. Since Alpine is twice as strong as Safari, you are dosing at 1.5 tsp\gallon with Safari---3\4 tsp\gallon for Alpine??? Anyone have any comments?
Yes, for twice the undiluted concentration, use half as much in the solution.

Rich, I use an Ortho Dial-and-Spray hose-end sprayer. All my plants live in close proximity on rolling carts, so whenever I use anything, they all get treated.

Yes, for twice the undiluted concentration, use half as much in the solution.
Thanx. Once you say that, it’s both obvious and the easiest choice!!! :)

Thanks Dj,
I just assumed so and have been doing exactly that with no problems. It’s sort of the commercial strength vs. the homeowner strength. The chemical is the chemical, so I just adjust the mixture % by ½ as you say. I used Safari till I ran out and ray had noted in a post that Alpine is the same chemical and less for twice as strong. I verified, so it was a no brainer for me. Have used it sprinkled on top of mix then watered in, for bugs in mix (slow acting) and mixed to spritz on opening sheaths as the buds show for thrips. No damage since I started this. Acephate works as well, but I don’t like the odor and won’t use it in the grow room. Alpine has no odor and leaves no residue. Acephate is an organophosphate, has higher toxicity as well, and can cause blindness if it gets in the eyes.

I just assumed so and have been doing exactly that with no problems. It’s sort of the commercial strength vs. the homeowner strength. The chemical is the chemical, so I just adjust the mixture % by ½ as you say. I used Safari till I ran out and ray had noted in a post that Alpine is the same chemical and less for twice as strong. I verified, so it was a no brainer for me. Have used it sprinkled on top of mix then watered in, for bugs in mix (slow acting) and mixed to spritz on opening sheaths as the buds show for thrips. No damage since I started this. Acephate works as well, but I don’t like the odor and won’t use it in the grow room. Alpine has no odor and leaves no residue. Acephate is an organophosphate, has higher toxicity as well, and can cause blindness if it gets in the eyes.
Thank you Southernbelle, that"s what I was looking for!

Other than cost, the only thing that makes me a bit wary of dinotefuran products is that it, like imidacloprid, is a neonicotinoid compound, which have been shown to have negative impacts on bees.

Granted, in an enclose growing environment, that is a minimal issue, but nobody says people are smart about using pesticides.

I am going to let others weigh in. That conversion seems pretty straight forward to me but I have not tried it.

@Duck Slipper - any plants available to test the dosage on first?
Yes Dj, I'm going to try Alpine 40% at 3/4 tsp. gallon on some plants to test the dosage first. No doubt, everyone uses Orthene because it is so much cheaper. But, adding Dinotefuran to your arsenal is definitely a bonus.

Latest posts

Back