Des Moines Speakers Day

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ernie

Did a marathon of judging yesterday, Sunday, July 27, in Des Moines, Iowa. Instead of a show, they invite a couple speakers in and have a sanctioned AOS judging. Alan Koch and Roy Tokunaga were the speakers, but we didn't see one second of their talks. Left Chicago at 4 am, got to Des Moines about 9:15 and started judging straight away. Broke for a delicious lunch then got back to it for a couple more hours then broke again for sweets. Back to it, finishing at about 4:00 pm. Got home at 9:30 pm.

There were 40 plants entered, and the two teams awarded 10 plants; some of the plants got multiple awards. There were lots of Neos! Our team awarded an AM and CCM to one. Also had some neat little species getting CHM's and CBRs. An Epi whittenii stands out right now probably because it was the last thing we did. Slipper-wise, our team gave an 83 pt AM to a Becky Fouke (Armeni White X primulinum). A Paph Jerry Lee Fischer was VERY VERY striking, but didn't quite make the mark due to form issues that might hopefully bloom out next time. Honestly, the whole thing is a blur in my mind at the moment. Maybe someone took some pix to post??? I just got some of Kathy Creger's filthy feet (at least the one not all sutured and wrapped up).

-Ernie

6 Awards given to plants from Orchids Limited

We entered 14 plants of which we got 6 awards! 3 AM's and 3 CCM's. I think we should have taken our Paph. godefroyae leuchochilum there too. Jason took it to Parkside, but the flower snapped at the Airport when he put the box through the scanner (the box got caught and flipped) :sob:

But here are our winners! :clap::clap:

Neofinetia flacata Asahiden 'Morning Sun Palace' CCM/AOS 87 points

NeoffalcatavarAsahidenMorningSunPal.jpg

Neofinetia flacata Shutennou 'High Five' CCM/AOS 88 points
Neofinetia flacata Shutennou 'High Five' AM/AOS 84 points

NeoffalcatavarShutennouHighFiveAMCC.jpg

NeoffalcatavarShutennouHighFiveA-1.jpg

Phal. equestris var. albescens CCM/AOS 83 ponts

PhalequestrisalbescensSnowFlakeC-1.jpg

PhalequestrisalbescensSnowFlakeCCMA.jpg

Phrag. Alien Syndrome 'Martian Attack' AM/AOS 81 points

PhragAlienSyndromeMartianAttackAMAO.jpg

PhragAlienSyndromeMartianAttackA-2.jpg

PhragAlienSyndromeMartianAttackA-1.jpg

Phrag. Don Wimber 'Donny' AM/AOS 83 points

PhragDonWimberDonnyAMAOS.jpg

Robert

I think we should have taken our Paph. godefroyae leuchochilum there too. Jason took it to Parkside, but the flower snapped at the Airport when he put the box through the scanner (the box got caught and flipped) :sob:

Robert

Yes you should have taken it to the judging!!! TSA Bullisht!

Oh yeah. I forgot that eq albescens. It was neat. We did all but the first and the last two.

-Ernie

Wow on all of them! Beautiful flowers and well-grown plants. Congrats to all at OL!

My Alien Syndrone from OL is in bloom, 3 flowers open an one to go plus another spike coming!

Back