Delenatii var. album?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I bought this as a Magic Lantern album two years ago.
It is still quite small in its 2 inch pot, and I was surprised to spot a spike coming in January.
It grew on without any pause and now it is in bloom.
I was hoping the flower would be a good size even if this is on a tiny plant, but the flower is also tiny. See the last pic for comparison with a standard delenatii.

I believe this is mislabeled case of white delenatii, not a Magic Lantern.
Not only the shape is off, but the staminode is purely delenatii.

What do you think??

ESRdq8Rl.jpg

p6sugWfl.jpg

eeYCTW7l.jpg

Pretty cute! Looks delenatii.

Check out my thread....two delenatii.....I’ve posted both colour forms to compare. I couldn’t believe the size difference between both plants and flowers.

John, I agree it looks like a deli,.................. but, in every cross the balance of characteristics varies between the parents. It would be helpful to see a number of seedlings from the same flask flower. If they all looked like this one then its probably a mislabel/mix-up. If they vary it might be correct. That its the album form may make a difference. Just hypothesizing, nothing more.
Maybe ask the vendor if they have flowered the cross and what they think.

I'd say either it got mixed up, or accidentally selfed the delenatii parent instead of making the cross. Looks like every delenatii alba I've ever had... :)

Rob

It would be helpful to see a number of seedlings from the same flask flower. If they all looked like this one then its probably a mislabel/mix-up.

I was going to say that too. But, seeing obvious MLs mixed in doesn't prove anything as it is entirely possible for a clumsy hybridizer to knock some of the flower's own pollen onto the staminode while applying the intended pollen. The result would be offspring that is a mix of pure delenatiis AND MLs.

Looks like straight Paph.delenatii fma album to me. Here's a photo of our "almost album" Paph. Magic Lantern 'Opalescent' JC-AOS for comparison. When grown cool, you can barely see very faint pink veins in the petals.

Last edited:
nothing magic lantern about that. There would be stripes on the petals.

Well, yes and no.
Magic lantern album can come out pure white or slightly pink blush with or without stripes on the petals.
Either case, the pouch is proportionally larger than delenatii and more importantly, the staminode is a lot different than that of either parent species.

An update on the scent.

This little white flower is scented when you stick your nose right up to the flower. So it is nothing significant, but it is there and it smells just like my Phalaenopsis schilleriana, so it is rose scent!

I wish it was a lot stronger. Oh, well...

The staminode in Tom's photo us obviously a cross between the narrow micranthum and the broad delenatii. I guess you will be looking for some ML albums. Count me in if you get a flask.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Scent and looks, especially the staminode, sure seem like pure delenatii. The only way I think this could be ML is ML x ML, which might veer a lot further toward the delenatii parent than the normal primary hybrid would. Simpler explanation is probably the correct one, though...

just as everybody said, the staminode is delenatii, proportion , shape and size of the pouch is delenatii as well

Latest posts

Back