Cypripedium xiangchengense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
Hello ,
Cypripedium xiangchengense is a newly discovered white "guttatum" :confused:

Don't feel bad Eric I don't have a pic either ......but it doesn't appear one was included in the post! And I was sooo looking forward to seeing it!

Hakone, I'm sure you've seen this discussion about C. boufforidianum on Frosch's Cyp forum already. Pretty quite over there, and that is where the Cyp experts roam.

The last time I saw Dr. Holger Perner I asked him about this new find and he replied that it indeed is just an alba form of the well known C. guttatum. He said that alba forms show up from time to time in all populations. I think what we have here is someone trying to make a buck, supplying a "new species" and a new name. Since the plant in question was found in Xiangcheng county on the Tibetan plateau, very likely someone got the bright idea to call it C. xiangchengense. Or perhaps it was described twice, but there are no references to it on the web that I can see.

Tom

ok, Tom.

you MIGHT be right about the "white guttatum".

But I wonder, that the " chinese Lady ;-) "
offers this plant in large quantities
for a "reasonable" price.

insofar it must be more that only the "rare white form"
of the common guttatum !?!

otherwise it must be much more expensive than 30 bucks.

OR MOST/ALL of the PLANTS are FAKED ...................

BUT: I have a penpal here, who received a rhizom
from a Bot. Institute in Beijing some years ago,
named "Do Bei Cypripedium"
which was described to make "white flowers",
but has not yet flowered for him.
it looks "somewhat like a guttatum" from rhizom and leaves.
and he also received ripe seeds,
which produced nice tiny seedlings in the 3rd year now...........

cheers
Dieter

Interesting Dieter. I didn't realize that Cyps were getting out of out this year. I've heard nothing going to America at least. Yes, anything that is exported, unless collected by knowledgeable people, is very questionable.

The "Do bei" plants sound very interesting! Please keep us abreast of what they turn out to be.

Interesting Dieter. I didn't realize that Cyps were getting out of out this year. I've heard nothing going to America at least. Yes, anything that is exported, unless collected by knowledgeable people, is very questionable.

The "Do bei" plants sound very interesting! Please keep us abreast of what they turn out to be.

"do Bei" from the sound means somewhat like "white flowering".
at the date of discovering the plants they were not botanically identified, so they gave a name with the meaning of "white flowering",
that "sounds like 'do bei' "
Thats what I heared....................

the rhizoms were very weak, when arriving here,
and so they did not flower yet,
but the guy is very hopefull, that they will next year.

I will report then :)

cheers
Dieter

Latest posts

Back