Cypripedium Philipp

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

photo of Philipp full size. Six stems on this flowering in 2009 - I split it the following autumn when it had ten resting buds.
It is recommended to split cyps when the number of stems gets into double figures. However it isn't easy to split these plants - believe me I've tried - you have to be very determined. So I'm going to leave a few to get really big. It may be that in pots they won't be susceptible to the rots that garden grown plants are.

Erythrone - I think I have about ninety pots of cyps, mostly hybrids at the moment. It tends to increase every winter when the new hybrids are advertised!

Regards,

David

Very nice! You'll have to show pics of when most of them are in bloom together!

Why is it recommended to divide when the number of stems gets into the double figures? Does the plant start to suffer?

cyp division

Hi,

the reason for division is that it is thought that as the plants grow, the centre of the rhizome mass becomes congested and more susceptible to rot.
I have yet to see it with my plants - but they are still young and growing in pots which contain 80-90% super coarse perlite, plus a bit of orchid bark.
These very free draining conditions may mean that they are less susceptible.
My reason for division is more to do with maintaining certain clones. If I have more than one plant then I am less likely to lose it.
It also means that I have some 'swaps' available,

Regards,

David

Latest posts

Back