Cypripedium californicum-potting up video

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avoid C. montanum and C. fasciculatum - yes, they are native but both are a pain in the neck to keep going. In your marginal climate they'd be even tougher. C. californicum might do better as long as average summer temperatures are not too high.[/QUOTE]

I only can agree :clap:
Montanum it is very hard, there are only a few in cultivation, but more and more come, as some peopel have started to select them and was succesfull.

Fasciculatum is a dream for the most of us, who love the small one....
But not one in cultivation, at least reported or known.
The same like elegans, I only seen one new picture of elegans in the last years
Of Fasciculatum there was none for a long time.

If someone will get seed we would be very happy to try it.

Cyp. fasciculatum supposedly was native to San Mateo, Santa Cruz, and Santa Clara counties. I know someone whose been looking for a colony in these counties for years and I've been looking to buy one for ages...

I have looked at the Calflora records regarding the reported occurrence of C. fasciculatum south of Mendocino County in Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, & San Mateo counties and believe the information is wrong. The basis of the report of the occurrence of this species in those counties is from prior documents. It is quite possible that the county of occurrence was reported erroneously or that the plant is a mis-identified plant of Epipactis gigantea which might be easily misidentified by a novice as a Cypripedium. No herbarium sheets were noted to support the reported documents.

I would not be surprised if the species eventually becomes cultivated as most species of this genus should be as a measure of protecting the genotype as continued human exploitation and contamination of habitat may pose a risk to not only the species but to the fungal populations on which the young seedlings are dependent for their survival in the wild.

Latest posts

Back