Cyp. acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry I wanted to post a pic of my flowering one then I found nothing on my camera so I must have dreamed it that i taked a pic, I only have one of the bid, and I could make pic of the plants I have, I can show a pic of the capsule to prove it.
I cannot belive that I forget to take a pic even I have not often flwoers from them.......

The local clump grows in all sand, with pine needles covering the surface.

The tidal surge from Hurricane Sandy stopped about 100ft. from this stand.
Lots of plants this season. Thought soil contamination would be issue.

I grow them in my garden with just a top dressing of pine needles yearly.They didnt bloom this year,and came up really late for some reason.Then the rabbits got to them when they finally stopped growing lol!

jtrmd, we have lots of rabbits and I've never given them a thought. The
group I transplanted were in the proper environment and good ph levels
and a lot of the original soil. They came up and appeared to be doing well and then disappeared. You may have solved a problem that's I've been
stressing over for a long time. Thank you!

Could also be deer. I have both rabbits and deer out on LI, and the deer are way more damaging. At least one acaule is gone, one is reduced to a piece of a leaf...my trilliums are down the the leaf spines anf lower spines. Last week they ate the flower stalk of one of my G. pubescens, and some leaves just for fun. Ate ALL my lilies.

I feed our local deer population and they leave my plants alone. Now I'll
have to figure out a way to feed the local rabbits! It appears that our wildlife is lazy and prefers dried corn and a salt lick to my gardens. However, the deer do some damage in the nursery when they rub their
antlers on the trees. Drives the nursery manager crazy, but I like the deer. We also have fat, lazy squirrels that never munch on my plants.

I'm very sorry about your deer damage. Damn!

squirrels have ate my Cyps too.In my garden they seem to like the new growths,and flowers over a full grown plant.

A little trick I tried this summer and it worked for squirrels is planting
Lemon Thyme around the plants you want to protect. Apparently, squirrels
find this plant offensive. Now, if someone has some non-poisonous spray
to drive away Japanese Beetles I'd love to hear it. I've tried lemon grass/peppermint oil in water and it only drives them away very temporarily.

Back