Cyp acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrmd

Reaction score
one of three cyps I have out in the garden.Last year something ate the pouch off of this one before it opened.
5669989648_448c82b945_z.jpg

Never looked at it that way lol!My Cyp pubescens were too close to the edge of the flower bed.They always managed to catch hell from the weedeater.I moved them back from the edge so they're safe.Not sure what happened to my other acuales.They must be taking taking this year off,or one of the local rodents got them.

Very Nice!! Mine are coming up now, I don't know if they will bloom this year or not as they are around 4 years old. I am hoping for at least 1 to bloom for the pollen..

My acaule's are emerging in Cutchogue...pubescens, kentuckiense, and reginae in Queens. Hopefully all the new sunlight since the tornado will help them bloom better.

There's a cyp coming up in Manhattan! :p

Is that the sequel to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

Very lovely species. Now if it were just a bit easier to grow. If I had access to them, I'd focus on crossing this one onto the spotted leave species of western China - that would have to produce interesting results.

Last edited:
Till now the crosses of the chinese 2 leaves are not very succefull.

Have some young plants of princess made by Mr. Frosch.

Started growing well.

The Acaule is mostly over with bloom till the other start. And Acaule is easier to cultivate than the 2 bigger 2 leav kinds, maybe we should try to cross it to bardolphilum or micranthum. Will try it.

Acaule is very easy to grow and can stand all kinds of subtrate if You adjust the pH-value between 3.5 and 4.5 by any kind of organic acids.

Maybe for you! I'm obviously not worthy :rolleyes:

IMO NOT an easy species at all unless local soil conditions are what it likes or you want to dose with organic acids (vinegar being the easiest and cheapest) every time you water.

I just jammed her in there.Nothing special,but water the garden with 10-10-10 every now and again.

I just jammed her in there.Nothing special,but water the garden with 10-10-10 every now and again.

You can be lucky if You have an acid soil but if not You have a very high infection risc without reducing the pH-value down to about 4 or little below.

Back