Cymibidum tigrinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Cymibidum tigrinum does well enough for me in my conditions that it encouraged me to branch out a bit more and try more sensitive/difficult species and hybrids.

I bought this off Ebay of all places many years ago. It has bloomed several times for me, though it skipped a year or two after I repotted it, and this is the first time it has bloomed since.

The flowers are nice and fragrant. I think the scent is commonly referred to as "honey", sort of a sweet but musky floral scent. Doesn't exactly remind me of the smell of honey, but everyone's sense of smell is different.

This seems to be very easy to grow in my conditions. Doesn't appear to need particularly cool winter temperatures, though I do provide it with a drier winter season.

Attachments

• 20240512_162220.tigrinum.jpg
    20240512_162220.tigrinum.jpg
    513 KB
  • 20240512_162222.tigrinum.jpg
    20240512_162222.tigrinum.jpg
    499.7 KB
Gorgeous!!! This is one of very few Cyms I used to grow and I still love it. The flower color on yours is a bit on the yellow side(than normal?)....

Gorgeous!!! This is one of very few Cyms I used to grow and I still love it. The flower color on yours is a bit on the yellow side(than normal?)....

The color doesn't strike me as being different from prior years, but I'd have to go back and look through my photos to compare.

It's a really nice species, for sure!

When I bought it, I wasn't sure I would be able to get it to bloom, but other than last year, it's bloomed reliably for me. In the past I grew it indoors under LEDs, but this past winter it stayed out in my greenhouse and would have received temperatures approaching freezing at several points in time.

Overall, it's been quite easy to grow and the fact that it blooms at all in my conditions makes it a winner! Plus I really enjoy species orchids so that's another point in its favor.

i would like to see a close up of the flowers, please. Looks to have a lovely lip.

I looked through my old photos tonight, unfortunately I don't have much of decent quality (as I say repeatedly I suck at photography and my phone's camera is regrettable). Having said that, I did find photo that somewhat shows a close-ish photo of the lip. Hope it's good enough for now. Maybe next year I'll luck out and get better photos.

Attachments

• ctiglip.jpg
    ctiglip.jpg
    320.2 KB
Back