Cymbidium Val Peck 'Rapunzel'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Picked this up at our show last weekend. It is a hybrid I have always wanted. It is dominated by the two Australian species suave and madidum. The spikes can be over a meter long with numerous flowers. A specimen plant in full flower is an amazing sight. While the Australian species (3 in total) have their own charm, the flowers are small and understated. But they have many great traits which are magnified when hybridized with the larger Cymbidiums.

While madidum only constitutes a small percentage of this hybrid genetically, it really dominates this clone.

1. Cymbidium Val Peck (Len Southward x suave)
2. Len Southward (Fifi x devonianum)
3. Fifi (Argonaut x madidum)
4. Argonaut (multiple hybrids involving lowianum, eburneum, insigne)

Six species are involved in this hybrid. Here is a % breakdown -

suave - 50%
devonianum - 25%
madidum - 12.5%
lowianum, eburneum, insigne - 12.5%

Cymbidium Val Peck 'Rapunzel'

Beautiful.
Looks very madidum to me. Where did all the other species go?

Yes, madidum is punching way above its weight. You often see this described as a madidum hybrid even though suave makes up 50%. I guess that's the beauty of these complex hybrids. You never know how they are going to turn out. I expect there are other clones of Val Peck that are dominated by the other species and hence look totally different. The flowers are at least double the size of either suave, madidum or devonianum. So the lowianum, eburneum and insigne species have had some input.

I'm not into hybrids any more but that will make a magificent specimen with a long curtain if flowers. Keep us updated David.

Wonderful!!! I like the pendant like inforescence and the colour of the flowers!

Latest posts

Back