Cymbidium goeringii “Kōrin” (Japanese variety) 日本春蘭「光琳」

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerpass

Reaction score
Cymbidium goeringii “Kōrin” (Japanese variety) 日本春蘭「光琳」
Discovered in Chiba Prefecture in Japan in 1956 and was registered in 1969. Average-sized orange flower with lotus-shaped flower petals with round petal tip. The orange colour intensifies after the flower opens. The variety has course red spots on the lip. Also, this variety has a very thick-textured flower petals. This variety has average-sized, dark green leaves with wide leaf width that are half-drooping. Out of all the varieties of C. goeringii, this specific Japanese variety is one of the earliest C. goeringii to bloom. This plant came half-dead 2 years ago due to custom delay with only 3 leaves left when I received it. I recovered and bloomed it in 2 years. The last picture was when I received the damaged plant 2 years ago. Grown and bloomed in Toronto, Canada.

Ozpaph: to pot correctly, the pseudobulb should be 30%-50% buried. It is the instruction from Japanese books with illustrations. If the pseudobulb is exposed completely above the potting mix, it loses too much moisture, it will never bloom. If the bulb is completely buried, it will rot. In fact, for C. faberi, which has the smallest pseudobulbs out of all these East Asian Cymbidiums, it practically doesn't exist. For C. faberi, the instruction is buried the bulb completely (pretending that pseuobulbs do not even exist).

Last edited:
Back