Cycnoches warscewiczii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this species particularly short lived??
I mean a few days?

All the Cycnodes and cycnoches I've had lasted a few weeks, which I thought was too short. lol

"A few weeks"???? I've never heard of a Cycnoches or Cycnodes or Catasetum who's blooms lasted 3 weeks! In my experience, you're lucky to get 7 days. 10 days is pretty good. Over that is rare.

Yes over a week fully opened without fading would be unusual for a male cycnoches or catasetum. More like 2-3 days. From what I understand the trigger mechanism takes a heavy toll on flower life. Plus, in nature they usually get pollinated (vigorously) fairly quickly after opening. Flower longevity just isn't in the genes.

Now cycnodes is a different ball game. The Mormodes parent imparts perfect (male and female) floral segments, which are much more stable. They also lack a trigger. Much longer lived.

Hmmm I was going to buy more, but now I'll have to think about it then. lol

Ok, so as Adam says, Cycnodes lasts for a while.
My Wine Delight last 3-4 weeks.
I had Cycnodes Golden Shower which last nearly one month.

My Cycnoches Seven Fold ( genetic make up is warscewiczii, cooperi, barthiorum) male flowers last 3 weeks and female flowers over one month.
I thought that was the norm. Maybe one of the species involved has long lasting flowers? I don't know. I should ask SVO.

I guess I should preface that by saying these have been my experiences under my conditions. My cycnodes lasted about 3-4 weeks as well. My Cyc cooperii lasted about a week (or about two weeks from when the bud peeked open to when the flower fell). Ctsms. are about 10 days from bud opening to flower falling. I have lots of light, air movement and humidity working against me though.

Just an update.
The flower opened last Monday, 5th, and it is still fresh with very strong perfume today! :)
The black area has grown much larger, though! lol

I guess I should preface that by saying these have been my experiences under my conditions. My cycnodes lasted about 3-4 weeks as well. My Cyc cooperii lasted about a week (or about two weeks from when the bud peeked open to when the flower fell). Ctsms. are about 10 days from bud opening to flower falling. I have lots of light, air movement and humidity working against me though.

Adam- I grow indoor and in the cold months like now, the humidity does fall very low. I really want to add Catasetum pileatum (sp?) white variety, whose flowers last for short time, but they do flower a couple of times a year, right?

Back