countdown to malipo disappointment

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far so good I guess (no, Candace, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet):

malipobudII.jpg

Well, my avatar is no lie--this really is my favorite. I should have more malipoense, but I don't (for now). This one was a special gift from a friend at an Ann Arbor Orchid Society Christmas party several years ago; I don't have a tag, but I'm 99.9% it is a Ratcliffe cross that I won't do justice with my culture, especially the first time around. I appreciate the votes of convidence, though I truly meant it when I said I wasn't getting my hopes up! I've been even more vigilant than usual in respect to its conditions, but, as much as I've modified my living arrangments for my plants, I'm just a glorified windowsill grower. I have not put the heat on once yet this year; being in a large apartment complex means that a fair amount of warmth comes in under the door. It all insures a nice drop in temps during the cooler months and we have plenty of comfortors...and snuggly cats. Rarely a shiver during the day while at my drawing board, so I doubt too many plants are unhappy either.

Robin, that is a beautiful spike! I am rooting for it! I have a big, fine malipo with lovely leaves and multiple growths that I am going to show this photo to! Best of luck to you, and I look forward to a photo of a beautiful bloom very soon!

Congratulations on getting to this point! My own reckless history of damage and destruction brings a thought to mind. You are so close - might it not be a good idea to stake now - not only to support the inflorescence upright when it flowers but to help avoid potential physical damage? There is no doubt in my mind you are more careful than I am, but what a shame it would be to avoid the ferocious livestock all this time only to have the stem or bud break off by accident.

Looking good Robin! Here's mine:

MalipoenseBuds.jpg

So graceful--thank you! The buds and growth patterns of inflorescences (especially paphs) are beautiful in their own right.

Congratulations on getting to this point! My own reckless history of damage and destruction brings a thought to mind. You are so close - might it not be a good idea to stake now - not only to support the inflorescence upright when it flowers but to help avoid potential physical damage? There is no doubt in my mind you are more careful than I am, but what a shame it would be to avoid the ferocious livestock all this time only to have the stem or bud break off by accident.

I don't discount that this is sensible advice at this stage, but I still probably won't. I think about it from time to time for the taller growers, but then STILL don't. It's not laziness...more an issue of personal aesthetics. I really enjoy the natural growth patterns of all of them. But, you don't have to mourn with me if I bust it! The cats leave them alone, if you can imagine such a thing. The only thing I've ever seen the one freak out over is cymbidium leaves, but he's easily "reasoned with" if another toy is produced.

How long this last stage is taking is just comical really. It's going to be very small-featured but with nice markings. Oh well. Once I enjoy it for a bit, it will be lovingly repotted, given a nice layer of crushed oyster shell and coached along to a better second blooming.

malipoense.jpg

hey, congratulations! looks nice no matter however large it is or isn't... when a recent speaker came to town they had a large malipoensis in bud, but the cost was quite a bit over what I wanted to part with

Latest posts

Back