cool 'mounted' mexi!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at Al's Orchid Exchange in Leesburg, Va. yesterday and lo and behold saw the most interesting and simple way of growing a mexipedium! Al has a 36 growth plant with 16 new shoots growing on a huge rectangular raft of solid treen fern, in one of the shady and moist parts of his greenhouse. It had maybe 7 old flower stems on it, don't know if from this or another year.

als115c.JPG

it was covered with thick moss, and don't know exactly how often he waters it. also don't know how much it would cost to buy or find a chunk of tree fern this large, but quite an interesting idea!

* - was also wondering if Ray's EpiWeb would work just as well as a rafting material, pieces could be attached somehow when things started to go over the side

Never seen a whole forest floor in a greenhouse!!! Looks like it is working really well though you would need serious space if your going to let it ramble and get this big.

That is a huge one.:clap:

That's the most square feet of Mexi I've ever seen, but I'm suspecting that some folks may be getting into kiddie pool "pots" as we speak.

These guys do like lots of water if they can get it, and I don't think the moss would be doing as good as it is without stay pretty damp.

This is amazing... love it!!
Agree with Rick, it should be watered very often... and with very low nutrients concentration.

would be kind of neat if someone tried to mount one on epiweb or something like that, made it vertical and drizzled water continuously through the mount (or timed once a day)

That is incredibly cool! I'm definitely paying Al's a visit next time I make it to the DC area. What about a drip wall using tufa, or travertine tiles or something, don't these grow on moist limestone in situ? I have some moisture-loving calcicolous mosses to share if anyone's interested in such a project...

Too cool! Really does illustrate the problem with sprawl these plants can develop, though. I've ended up with more divisions of my "Oaxaca" from Windy Hill than I have space for...interestingly, my "Windy Hill" is still in the same pot I got it from Windy Hill several years ago.

Also, I'm stoked to learn of yet another local orchid resource. I just moved back home to Maryland and I've got much more available locally than I did in Tennessee!

Charles,I saw those mexi's at Al's and been bugging him about selling divisions. I think he got tired of my nagging and offered me this one instead. I ran with it out of his greenhouse,didn't even bother to give a high five to his bear! :rollhappy:

My loot!:p

Been working on Al for about a year for a division from the mounted ones,since I go there often enough and nag him about it,short of locking his door when he saw me pull up to his driveway,he offered the biggie! He charges for 12 growths discounting 2 old ones at $35. each and that was a great pricing. I ran with it before he had a change of heart.

I have the others from Kansas univ.greenhouse, they were doing so-so until I set up my vivarium and stuck them in it about 3 weeks ago and now 2 are putting out new roots.

Latest posts

Back