Continual irrigation so far.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using a drain to waste or recirculating?

The water just drips onto the paved floor and helps the humidity stay at a fairly good level. It may drop during the evening to around 45 but during the day gets into the 90's.

Before starting this system I top-dressed the phrags with blood and bone fertizer every 6 months so I will probably continue this in the New Year.

Shoot whatever works don't fix.

The NPK of blood meal is on average 12 0 0 while NPK of bone meal is 4 12 0. And I'd bet money your tap water won't have more than 1 ppm of K. There should be pent up K in the bark and moss that the plants will dig out as they need it.

So your system, nutrition wise, is really following my low K formula anyway.

Lots of N and Ca. Probably way more P than necessary but maybe a hair short of Mg.

But the plants look good.

Rather than considering any Cal Nitrate, I'd stick with the top dressing, but maybe give a squirt of Epsom salts now and then.

Shoot whatever works don't fix.

The NPK of blood meal is on average 12 0 0 while NPK of bone meal is 4 12 0. And I'd bet money your tap water won't have more than 1 ppm of K. There should be pent up K in the bark and moss that the plants will dig out as they need it.

So your system, nutrition wise, is really following my low K formula anyway.

Lots of N and Ca. Probably way more P than necessary but maybe a hair short of Mg.

But the plants look good.

Rather than considering any Cal Nitrate, I'd stick with the top dressing, but maybe give a squirt of Epsom salts now and then.

Hi Rick. Didn't mention it but I do use Epsom salts every so often. Many thanks for your explanation of the chemical distributions---- something I have never checked--- guess I must have just hit lucky!! Ed

Latest posts

Back