Complex brachypetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take is this… leucochilum was godefroyae many moons ago …. So if godefroyae was considered same, the (Benkei x godefroyae) is Hung Sheng Benkei. That crossed with bellatulum is of yet unregistered.

My take is this… leucochilum was godefroyae many moons ago …. So if godefroyae was considered same, the (Benkei x godefroyae) is Hung Sheng Benkei. That crossed with bellatulum is of yet unregistered.

Yes, that is true DrLeslie, but if you think that leucochilum is it's own species, then Benkei, which is a cross with godefroyae and S Gratrix. Benkei x leucochilum is called Benkei-leucochilum. In Benkei, there is already little bit of bellatulum. So, I guess, that what it's named and registered, is depending on if P. leucochilum is godefroyae var. leucochilum, or a real sp.
Mr. Olaf Gruss mentioned, that leucochilum is bigger sized, than godefroyae. Mostly those that I have, and which are labeled as var leucochilum or leucochilum have longer leaves than my godefroyae's. The biggest I have has a NS from leaf tip to leaf tip 37cm.
But some that are labeled godefroyae, some have still a white spotless pouch, and smaller size. It seems to be almost impossible to say, that are they separate species or the same. Maybe it's also when they get crossed back and forth or the 'pure' ones are crossed with each other, that it has made it impossible to separate. Also godefroyae flowers with spots on their pouch, still suddenly some seedlings have a white spotless pouch, when they flower. Go figer. Perhaps they still are one and the same sp. Hopefully you understand something of this mish mash. 😊

Latest posts

Back