Completely scientific way of testing my R/O system

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the milkier left cube freezes this way because of impurities/minerals in the water..the right cube has significantly less impurities/minerals so it freezes clearer
pretty clever

the milkier left cube freezes this way because of impurities/minerals in the water..the right cube has significantly less impurities/minerals so it freezes clearer
pretty clever

The water has more dissolved gases before the RO unit. That is what this Experiment tells me :p

Probably more like nitrogen, oxygen, CO2 etc. But of course, chlorine contributes if it is there:p

Actually, Bjorn, if both water samples were at equilibrium with the atmosphere before freezing, the RO water would actually have greater concentrations of atmospheric gases in it than the untreated sample.

Anything dissolved in the water takes up space in the solution, thereby denying it to other stuff that might dissolve. Is it an appreciable difference? I doubt It, but it is real.

The water has more dissolved gases before the RO unit. That is what this Experiment tells me :p
right,..impurities..I was being general...ice with more minerals also freezes this way..I remember doing experiments like this in grade school

either way..you got more 'stuff' in the left ice cube versus the right cube

How do you explain 'white' icebergs that are pure H2O? Its trapped 'air'.

Air in icebergs and air in ice cubes come from two different processes..icebergs are broken off pieces of a glacier that has formed from sedimentary processes over time ...basically the snow (which has trapped air between the snow bits) is compressed into ice..over a long period of time

Ice freezing in a freezer has to do with the change in entropy of a system that form crystalline structures on a much faster timescale , and the crystalline structure cant hold as much in dissolved gases so it pushes out the air as it freezes..

not sure the analogy is very useful to the experimenter in this case

Im suggesting that the 'white' is not ONLY from dissolved impurities/salts but air (I know how icebergs are formed). The analogy, I think, is useful. Just because the ice is white doesn't mean it is impure (unless air, in this case, is considered an impurity). My supposition; the experiment doesn't prove what it set out to prove. Try the same experiment with boiled tap water, plain tap water (no tap aerator), with aerator and the RO. A tray of each side-by-side in the freezer, might be helpful.

Actually, Bjorn, if both water samples were at equilibrium with the atmosphere before freezing, the RO water would actually have greater concentrations of atmospheric gases in it than the untreated sample.

Anything dissolved in the water takes up space in the solution, thereby denying it to other stuff that might dissolve. Is it an appreciable difference? I doubt It, but it is real.

Exactly, Ray, if it is in equillibrium. Most people have pressurized water supplies that makes gases dissolve. To get them out, normally boiling is a good way. Boiling is also the trick we use when we want crystal clear ice-cubes for our drinks:viking:

Im suggesting that the 'white' is not ONLY from dissolved impurities/salts but air (I know how icebergs are formed). The analogy, I think, is useful. Just because the ice is white doesn't mean it is impure (unless air, in this case, is considered an impurity). My supposition; the experiment doesn't prove what it set out to prove. Try the same experiment with boiled tap water, plain tap water (no tap aerator), with aerator and the RO. A tray of each side-by-side in the freezer, might be helpful.

yeah, white can mean anything..'stuff'

Latest posts

Back