Color My World 'Shocker'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutz4Paphs

CCE/AOS :-)
Reaction score
Hey all, I haven't been around for a couple of months...but Im back with pics. Hope you enjoy.
This is Color My World 'Shocker' which is S. Gratrix x Winston Churchill. I bought this from Hadley early this past summer and it is just opening now. It is a very strong grower and is fertile both as a pollen parent and pod parent which is very rare in this type of breeding (brachy x complex). Anyway, I'll post another after it is fully open and color is set. Enjoy!
IMG_0412.jpg

Thanks! It is a tremendous flower - extremely thick and waxy. The stem is almost woody, tall, and straight. Much more so than I would have thought with the brachy background. The plant is a beast too! Just in the past few months it has thrown 2 new growths so this little baby is up to 1 previously bloomed, 1 blooming, 1 NBS, and 2 new shoots. Damn!!!:clap: Its growing in 2 directions too so Im hoping it will keep up the pace and stay so vigorous.
PS. The yellowish green background color you can see in this photo is fading quite quickly to a soft ivory color. I AM IN LOVE WITH IT! This is my new favorite :p

Now THAT is eye candy! Grow that biiiiiiiaaaaatch up quick so we can all have a division!

-Ernie

I agree it is very nice. You mentioned that it is fertile both as a pod and as a pollen parent. Are you planning to breed with it? I will be curious to see what the offspring will look like. I also made a few brachy/coomplex hybrids. One of them (Lunar Bell = Lunacy x bellatulum album) also had a seedling that was fertile. It too had very waxy flowers that last for 3 to 4 months! I have some seedlings from a cross of the fertile Lunar Bell that are close to blooming size now.

Robert

I am planning to breed with it - OF COURSE ;) I have a division of Nick Tannaci's top breeder - the one that he said he was most excited about for future production - that is in bud. (bellatulum x Sierra bell) 'Rojo'. For those of you that have been on nick's website, it is extremely similar to the S. Gratrix on the home page. That will be the first of many I hope to set a pod for me.
Hadley told me that he had crossed it with a few things but only the first pod he made was BS so far. It was a straight bellatulum. He said that the flowers were supersaturated red and very well shaped. Im not sure when the first on bloomed but I would assume last year???
Ernie, I will be sure that this biiiiaaaaaaatch throws lots of new growths. No worries on that my friend.:poke:

Hi

it's a marvelous flower and the color and patterns are great. Do you have a picture of the whole plant to see the size ? I'm curious to see the impact of brachis on a big complex like Winston Churchill !
:drool:

I dont have a photo of the whole plant, but I will take one if I can get around to it today. Also, I posted that this was S. Gratrix x Winston Churchill...It is actually Greyi x Winston Churchill. I knew that! ;) Oh well, sometimes one just has too much information in one's head- it gets garbled up.

Latest posts

Back