coconut husk chips: good or evil

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
emydura said:
I used it for a while as well, but I found it too inconsistent. Some things did well in it but a lot didn't. I found overall the root growth not to be great. Roots would be initiated and grow for a bit and then suddenly die off. I ended up just going back to bark.
Have you washed the CHC before using it? What was your source - compressed chips or lose in a bag? How often have you watered the CHC?

Some of you might find this interesting. Its about phalies but in the mid part of the slide set is a lot about CHC.
I use the Orchidmate brand and Cultiplex treatment beforehand. I add about 20-30% CHC to my paph mix. I think its a 'salt magnet' so have had better results now I flush with rainwater weekly and cut back the fertilizer (and lower K+)

http://eurobodalla.org.au/fileadmin...d/Perth_2012/4._Graham_McKay_Phalaenopsis.pdf

I used it for a while as well, but I found it too inconsistent. Some things did well in it but a lot didn't. I found overall the root growth not to be great. Roots would be initiated and grow for a bit and then suddenly die off. I ended up just going back to bark.

That's similar to a lot of experiences I've had with select species/groups.

Eric M and I have had similar experiences (until recently I believe due to low K).

With regard to exul, it started out as a multigrowth plant, its a species adapted to getting hit with sea water, and I kept a lot of calcareous junk in the pot. Could be all luck, but in some ways just another high k/low K data point.

Have you washed the CHC before using it? What was your source - compressed chips or lose in a bag? How often have you watered the CHC?

I use to soak it in water for 12 hours or so over 4 or more days. I never pre-treated it with Ca(NO3)2 or MgSO4 though. I used OrchidMate which is the most commonly used brand here. It comes from Sri Lanka I believe. I was told the importer monitored the CHC's for salt and rejected a shipment on at least one occasion. They were compressed chips. I use to water it every 4 days or so depending on the temperature.

Latest posts

Back