Cliokchi Hans Hermans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to believe ... I'm really sad to read this! I always enjoyed his posts and was always waiting for his next post to learn more from his knowledge. I sure will miss his posts!!!
My condolences to his family.
Thank you for letting us know, Tinh.

I am very sorry to hear this. Although I attendet this forum not to long ago the name "cliokchi" meant something to me.It seemed he was always happy to help and contribute.
My true condolences to his family.

I looked up his old posts, and saw that we started posting in August 2010. But he has been a contributor to the orchid world for many years, and will really be missed.

I'm glad that this forum was blessed with his presence, and its worthwhile to go back and re read some of posts with us.

I can only echo what all the others have said. He was here on the forum for such a short time but contributed so much. Always the gentleman, always so helpful and positive. It is sad for us and the orchid world. I grieve for his family.

Like all members, sorry strikes for the loss of cliokhi ( Hans ). Having got to know him through this forum and thru PM's & e-mails since, he was of great help to me. I have passed on this sad news to growers here who knew him well and are not part of any forums.

I can not say anything positive sorry, he scammed too many people I know for a lot of money. The people on the forum are lucky not to have had this happen. I am sorry if this offends some people. I will leave my comments at this for the sake of politeness.

Brett

I did not know who Cliokchi was, but I always enjoyed his friendly and valuable contributions to this forum, which I'm certainly going to miss. His passing is sad news to me. My condolences to all who were close to him.
Judgement of the person Hans Hermans is up to a higher instance now.

Sorry for my terse comments. I just have too many friends that got burnt by this man. One club has suggested to chime in if the moderators allow and have sent a correspondence to the deceased estate for compensation.

I know it is not nice to speak of the dead, but it galls me to hear him spoken nicely off given pain he caused here in Thailand and in Australia to people I know.

Perhaps less known is that his passing may not have been a peaceful one and is under investigation. The list of suspects will be long given the people he screwed over.

Yes, I have sympathy for his mother, but not him. Agreed, a higher authority will have to judge now.

Brett

I know it is not nice to speak of the dead, but it galls me to hear him spoken nicely off given pain he caused here in Thailand and in Australia to people I know.

Brett

Brett,

Hans died in the hospital of natural causes, no investigations or whatsoever in progress.

It is not the place to speak about that, so later I will open another thread myself. If overseas there has been issues with him possibly, in Thailand, I would say that the things are way different except for two people, who happen to be my friends and got issues. So I am not 'blind' or partial, but one must be fair.

I will just say that in Thailand, Hans did a lot of good things for the people, and the orchid people.

He did have issues with some Thai growers, that's correct, but minor ones compared to what he did for the physical people in Thailand.

I have seen myself disgusting stories of people that he helped and they afterwards spitted on him, like this woman from the Jatujak who complained about Hans, he ordered plants from her a month before, and did not pick up those, it was big problem for her, Hans was soooo baaaad...

This very same woman had her own mother who had a cancer. She told Hans a year before, and he paid all the expenses in Burumgrad, so she has been saved. He never asked any money or plants in return. I reminded her, she said 'it's different things'. When she had to pay the fine to the police as they caught her countless times selling wild orchids in Jatujak, she would call Hans and get the money for the fine instant. All of that was nothing to her.

The Pandora box will be opened on some stories soon, like his former caretaker who got a house built and paid by him.

He went to the hospital a couple of years ago, and she stole everything during his first long stay in intense care. Millions of plants, I will post the pictures. That woman was nothing before he hired her.

He paid a complete house on the nursery land - that he was renting from her relatives - for them and their parents. She was entitled to steal everything for two reasons. First he did not pay her two months of salary - he was under intensive care. Second Hans girlfriend would steal everything, so it was better she took control of everything before, and 'give it back to Hans later'. Bullshit, just thieves. Amongst the stolen plants, a large Australian shipment.

Brett, maybe you are quite new or not educated yet for Thailand, but there, for many people, everything you have done good in the past is 'normal' to them, and no need to talk about. They are not grateful. But if you make a single mistake with those very same people you helped, you are immediately very bad.

Ask Joe, the famous leucochilum breeder in Chiang Mai. He can tell you the truth, both sides, about many thai stories.

I will add a couple of things here:
- In the nursery stolen by Katai and P'Neung was the largest orchid species collection in the world. None could come close to it. There was an exhaustive collection of Madagascar orchids amongst many other plants, that would make Marcel Lecoufle hobby collection look bleak. They came from many sources, including Olaf Pronk. Everything was there, including the rarest species and forms. I still have the pictures. They were under way of propagation at that time. Amazing place, believe me.
- When Hans Hermans was in the hospital at that time, they sold many plants to many thai growers. I have seen it myself with my eyes. Very rare things, impossible for Thai growers to obtain. They moved out to another nursery a lot of plant to hide them and sell them after. Everyone knows this in Thailand and many people have a good laugh about. Yet, they are respected, trusted, and still in the business as of today.

As a friend only, without any business involved, Hans was oddly amazing, generous and excessive.

Last edited:
Dear Tinh

You are entitled to your views. I happen to know people he cheated quite well and they are honest people. So I am sorry, if you have another spin on the story, I know who I believe. Yes I know the way some people are in SE Asia with regard to honesty in business, I am not some innocent. However, that goes for all races here.

In addition, what you say is what you say. As has been pointed out, there is my side, yours and the truth obviously is going to be a hard thing to discern. Just because you say you knew him, does not make something true.

As to how he left the world, I could care less.

Can you prove that Katai stole from him? I had the opposite story from her, that he swindled her. I have done business with her over two years now and never a problem.

As to the Australian shipment he never compensated the buyers even though many times requested. It is irrelevant if the plants were stolen from his nursery, the shipment was paid for. He should have refunded, even if that truly was the case.

Brett

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back