Chysis Langleyensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This started out as a seedling given to Wendy by a friend about 10 years ago. About 2007, Wendy divided the plant and gave me a chunk. Mine is the first of the two pieces to bloom. It's been blooming size for a couple years; but, this is it's first bloom. For the first time, it produced two new growths, not just one.....and one of them developed a flower spike. I expected more flowers; but, it only made 2 buds. Hopefully, that will improve with future bloomings. I think I haven't kept it cool or dry enough in the winter; so, I'm lucky to get any flowers at all. There is still one healthy leaf clinging to the pseudobulb from the summer of 2009 and all the leaves are still on last year's pseudobulb. I think it's supposed to lose all it's foliage and rest before initiating new growth and blooming in late winter/early spring. The first flower to open closed up only 3 days later. It never fully opened. I think the heat way up in the rafters of the greenhouse was just too much for it. Once that occurred to me, I brought the plant down to where the temps are more moderate. The second flower opened up more and continues to look good. The texture is "slipery"/waxy and the substance is THICK and HARD. The flower is about 3 1/2" across; so, a whole bunch of these would look really good....and smell awesome!

18690.jpg

Very nice. Not often seen hybrid. The last time I saw this hybrid was over 12 years ago in New York when a plant belonging to Glen Decker received a CCM. It was spectacular.

Beautiful!
I have a big one growing on a tree fern plaque. It had a lot of flowers last year but it doesn't look like it will flower this year. Mine has only a bit of red at the end of the petals and sepals with the rest of the flower white. It's a gem.

Thanks everybody! Shiva: When your Lanleyensis had a lot of flowers, how many flowers did it produce on each stem? TIA

Here's a picture of my Langleyensis. You can see just a bit of colour on the lip. I can count at least 10 flowers and buds on one stem. Not as colourful as yours but beautiful all the same. :)

ChysisLangleyensis2.jpg

Back