Cattleya trianae coerulea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another species that bloomed 2 times this year. Love the Colors and the petals have improved. But I am not sure it’s enough for me to keep …
Funny how a couple of nice segments and good color can start to over ride the parts you don’t like. I can see the conundrum….

So if no one else will say it I will. Sell it, give it away, yes it is a trianae, but unless it has some intrinsic value I do not believe the flower fullness will improve. The flower has color but the petal volume is subpar, in any orchid show cattleya species class , ask, could it compete? Unless you have copious amounts of extra growing space remember it takes the same amount of effort to care for a poor flower as well as a good one. Below is a pic posted on FB 4 days ago by Francisco Villegas. Cheers.

Attachments

• Cattleya trianae coerulea 'granjera'.jpg
    Cattleya trianae coerulea 'granjera'.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
So if no one else will say it I will. Sell it, give it away, yes it is a trianae, but unless it has some intrinsic value I do not believe the flower fullness will improve. The flower has color but the petal volume is subpar, in any orchid show cattleya species class , ask, could it compete? Unless you have copious amounts of extra growing space remember it takes the same amount of effort to care for a poor flower as well as a good one. Below is a pic posted on FB 4 days ago by Francisco Villegas. Cheers.
I may just do exactly that. I am new to cattleyas and I tend to be sentimental. That will soon change tho. Just like I did with paphs

I may just do exactly that. I am new to cattleyas and I tend to be sentimental. That will soon change tho. Just like I did with paphs
It's difficult sometimes to let plants go, but it's also a good experience in that you learn to grow some species and then in success gain confidence to acquire improved and often more expensive clones without having made expensive mistakes. Good luck.

It's difficult sometimes to let plants go, but it's also a good experience in that you learn to grow some species and then in success gain confidence to acquire improved and often more expensive clones without having made expensive mistakes. Good luck.
I agree, David. I have been land-locked in my plant room for several years. Nothing new can come in until something is removed. Since deaths are rare, it means being honest. It was hard to get rid of the first several plants that were healthy but just had mediocre flowers. My trianae coerulea was one of the early ones. Now, it is less painful.

It’s a hard choice but growing better flowers takes the same time and space. So culling is a developed skill one learns the hard way.

Latest posts

Back