(California Queen x Keyeshill) x bellatulum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
First bloom of this seedling. Cross made by Ratcliffe, and not yet registered (not even the complex parent, I think). The colour looks better in the photo than face to face where it is browner. I'll give it one more chance to find out for myself if it is closer to disaster or to being cute.

Attachments

• Paph (California Queen x Keyeshill) x bellatulum.JPG
    Paph (California Queen x Keyeshill) x bellatulum.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 65
Thanks, people, for your encouragement :rollhappy:

Growing these crosses as seedlings is a gamble and I didn't win this time.

I like to gamble on crosses like this as well. While there are many stinkers, when you get a winner, they can be incredible.

These type of crosses can be useful in improving standard complex Paphs. As an example, Paph Paeony (Noble X Belisaire), has bellatulum as a grandparent (Belisaire = Atlantis X bellatulum)

Note the wider petals imparted on this second generation bellatulum hybrid. Here is a link to one cultivar of Paph Belisaire: http://www.orchid.me/paph_htms/paph_noverty.htm

I understand why you buy these types of crosses. A few will be spectacular, most will be 'rubbish'. If you like the flower keep it, but if you're looking for something special - dont keep plants that aren't up to scratch. Save the bench space for your next 'speculative' purchase.

Latest posts

Back