cabinet-gh construction....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hi all,

This is now my new growing area!!! :D

I bought the wooden poles, scrapped them with sandpaper, covered them with special oil for wood and then I layered a film (1-2 layers) of wood varnish, to make it impermable to water.

First I made the wooden skeleton. I made the base. Put the vertical columns and then added the top
P9150001.jpg

then tried to strengthen the structure by putting diagonically some poles
P9150006.jpg

after I put the door and the window and tried to make an inclination on the top, adding some more poles in the proper position.
P9240010.jpg

P9240016.jpg

P9240011.jpg

P9240013.jpg

P9240015.jpg

P9240014.jpg

then, I put the plastic sheeting from the outside of the structure, with a stapler
P9300002.jpg

and then covered the inside with the bubble wrap, so that there is a ~3cm void in between the sheets
PA020008.jpg

some pics from the interior
PA020007.jpg

PA020006.jpg

and the first added mounted plants...
PA030001.jpg

It took me a lot of time to make, almost a month, as there was a big delay in the arrival of the wooden poles (initially and afterwards as I needed some more) and some days of rain. But the most difficult part was the scraping and coating with oil & varnish. Generally a better planning from the beginning would be great. But there are always things that pop up.

There should be a fogging system soon installed and also I will put a fan for better ventilation and cooling. :)

That's cool! :clap: I wished I lived in a climate where I could have a greenhouse with walls of plastic sheeting and bubble wrap. :sob:

Very well done!:clap::clap::clap:

A first time project is always full of little surprises. On my Orchid Window, I had ordered a stainless steel pan to catch the water at the bottom. I measured extensively before ordering then, as I waited, i finished the front wood fittings. Then the pan arrived and I couldn't slide it in over the front plank that would mask the bottom. It turns out they had added a fold all around the steel pan to make it stronger. I had to pull the plank out, which was fixed in by a nail gun, and broke part of the side plank. Next I had to hammer in the steel pan using a hammer and a wood block, one side at a time, until it was fully in. This pan will only come out now when the house is torn down eventually. Then I had to glue back in the side piece that was broken and brace it with another plank and my nail gun. Then I hid the crack under aluminium tape painted white.
As you said, there are always surprises.

Sorry to have to say - I see one problem -
It's too small, you'll fill it up in no time!!
What are the dimensions?

Very cool. I would love to have something like this in my basement.

Thank you for your comments...!

Rose, it is 2m x 2m x 1.4m (height x length x width)

Shiva, that was very annoying...! I am glad you made it through... :D:D

Thank you all!!!!

Dot, I am not allowed to make it bigger.... :( I will just have to change the content...hehehehe!!

Jean, yes it is a tent. I will roll it down at summer to help lower the temps... ;)

The mesh used for hanging your mounted orchids is a great idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Good

Have you started monitoring the temperature and humidity inside?

I think you have a good insulation system with the bubble wrap.

Thank you all for the comments... :):)

Rick, the first day I "operated" it, the morning-noon temp was 42oC and 30% humidity. One day later I put a shade cloth at one of the structure's corner and now the temp is around 32-5oC with the about the same humidity (around 40%). The door and window are also open for ventilation. At night, temps drop down to 20-22oC and humidity rises to 70% approx.

I am waiting for the fogging system to arrive soon, so the humidity will be up and also the temp might be lower. I will also install a fan in front of the window.

That looks great! I also wish I could just make something like that in my yard without worrying about the climate here.

Back