C. kentuckiense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here is the C. kentuckiense clump shown in a previous thread finally in flower. This is its second year growing at this location, so while it is doing well so far, there is no guarantee that it will continue to do so. After six years of playing around with Cyps in this climate finally I seem to have found a way to keep at least some happy and this guy is leading the way.

The whole plant with a total of three growths and three blooms. Last year it had two much smaller growths and no blooms.

CypKentuckiensePLT.jpg

The flowers. Two have a few not-so-bad lip warts, but definitely visible.

CypKentuckiense3FLS.jpg

The petals may twist more and the color may darken a bit over the next couple days since this is the first day of flowering. The cream colored lip is pretty common while ivory is more scarce. I'll post more shots if it changes significantly.

CypKentuckienseFLSM.jpg

I believe this plant was sourced via Europe by the vendor I bought it through. Not a cheap purchase! I must say I'm pleased so far and very interested to see how it grows over the summer. In the past I was very careful with fertilizer for fear of rot, but this year I'm gonna be a bit more aggressive since the plants are in a nearly pure bed of pumice. In years past I tried growing in pots with special media and cooling techniques and had just so-so results. This new technique seems more promising - time will tell.

You must not have any wind...

Actually being next to the sea on an island it is windy here almost all the time! I have to stake all my plants or they get bent to the ground quickly. I'll post another shot of these in August or early September and you'll see the abuse they go through over the summer months...it ain't pretty.

Latest posts

Back