Bulbophyllum speciosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goods

Reaction score
When I found this plant on Ecuagenera's list this year, I decided to try it even though I knew it probably wanted cooler conditions than I could provide. It initially dropped a few leaves but seems to have stabilized a bit and is finally maturing a bloom after blasting a number of spikes earlier in the year.

IOSPE lists the common name for this species as the "Outstanding Bulbophyllum", and I can't say that I disagree :D

27772396216_2c3bb09549_c.jpg

27731573051_5dfa92d053_c.jpg

This one doesn't have a fragrance that I can detect. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Hapalochilus (Bulbophyllums whose lips are immobile) that have any fragrance, pleasant or otherwise.

Zach that is one that is a must buy for this year. Thanks for letting us know that Ecuagenera has it. I would have never guessed.

Thanks for the kind remarks! Chad, I was also surprised when I noticed it on Ecuagenera's list.

The flowers aren't all that large (definitely smaller than Bulbo. phal and relatives and probably smaller than Bulbo. arfakianum, grandiflorum, etc. as well). It looks quite large because the flower is about as large as an individual plant.

I've found that this one suffers unless I water it quite often, even though it's growing in my tank. Maybe it's due to my heat but I did read a note on IOSPE that it wants to stay wet too.

Latest posts

Back