Blue phalanopsis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, it's cool looking. I would if the genes will pass on to crosses and maybe a selfing. I can see this really adding fire to the mass-produced phal crazy going on.

Well, it's a major step up from those *shudder* dyed blue phals I've seen. When I see those, it literally makes me cringe and turn the other direction -- which generally means that if the establishment sells them, they don't get any business from me.

But I agree, the color, while interesting doesn't compute as blue to my eyes.

If it isn't a fake and it is true, what is written there ('Japanese broadcaster NHK said the research team used genes from blue Asiatic dayflowers to create the orchid.') it isn't a true Phalaenopsis any more because it has some not-Phalaenopsis-genes in it.

thanks for the link.

blue orchids already exist (thelymitras/sun orchids and probably others), and they didn't need a scientist to mess with things or inject them to do it (foolishness of reporters and scientists; the latter who always are trying to discover/state things that we already know, and create things that already exist - not all of course, just a tiny soapbox)

It looks suspiciously like the blue dye-injected ones that were around Home Depots last year.

If they are genetically engineered with material from another genus, will they be allowed at judging? They will not be true orchids.

Who knows what can be reached when playing around with genetics. So I'm not judging if this blue Phal is legit.

On another forum it was mentioned that you can see peloric flowers in the video. I just checked it and saw it as well.

If you just wanted to scam people with an injected Phal wouldn't you just pick a clone that doesn't have peloric flowers?

If they are genetically engineered with material from another genus, will they be allowed at judging? They will not be true orchids.

i guess for ribbon judging you could always make a class designation for 'genetically altered' ones (since it's up to each club what classes they have)

now, for aos judging, i have no idea

Who knows what can be reached when playing around with genetics. So I'm not judging if this blue Phal is legit.

On another forum it was mentioned that you can see peloric flowers in the video. I just checked it and saw it as well.

If you just wanted to scam people with an injected Phal wouldn't you just pick a clone that doesn't have peloric flowers?

I understand that the Japanese have a special affinity for peloric orchids, so it is not surprising that a Japanese breeder would choose a peloric Phal to inject with dye.

thanks for the link.

blue orchids already exist (thelymitras/sun orchids and probably others), and they didn't need a scientist to mess with things or inject them to do it (foolishness of reporters and scientists; the latter who always are trying to discover/state things that we already know, and create things that already exist - not all of course, just a tiny soapbox)

I suppose thelymitras are as close to a blue orchid as I've ever seen though many, to my eye, are mauve. It does beg the question of when is 'blue' really blue?
Is delphinidin found in orchids?

Back