Bear Damage to Greenhouses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Situations like this suck because you want so badly to get to the root of what attracted them to the greenhouse and that may never be possible particularly if it was nothing more that a bunch of curious cubs that ambled in with momma behind them. Really really sorry you got hit so hard. If I have any plants that you lost to the bears, I can probably divide them sooner or later to help get you back to where you were maybe a little bit faster. What happened to you is really the pits.

Dumb question but in consideration of bears being in your area now and obviously not at all shy about making their presence known, any chance you would be able to go with a more permanent greenhouse structure? Something that they couldn't swipe and split with a paw to walk right in?

Thats not a dumb ?. Eventually I will build a permanent structure. I just wanted the others for use in the summer ( to get plants out of the house!!) for the natural growing effect. I had them the summer before & nothing bothered them, not even the other rodents raccoon, oppossum etc.

Thanks for the offer of the divisions!!!! That made my day!! I will keep you in mind. As I am always looking for Paphs for breeding. Troy Meyers sent me an e-mail last week that another 1 of my crosses germinated.

Tom

Tee he, now all you have to do is keep track of what I have and let me know when and how to divide. Many of my plants are babies but many are not. I have a list of plants I've purchased over in collections.

I looked at you're list & want 1 of each Paph. & Phrag. LOL
Just kidding, O.K. O.K. not kidding. Nice list!!! I have a list in collections also, but I need to update as soon as I figure out all the ones I lost, & the ones I haven't added to it. I recently did a few purchases that i also have to add. (Thanks Heather for the Mexi.!!) Maybe we can work on a trade???

Tom

I looked at you're list & want 1 of each Paph. & Phrag. LOL
Just kidding, O.K. O.K. not kidding. Nice list!!! I have a list in collections also, but I need to update as soon as I figure out all the ones I lost, & the ones I haven't added to it. I recently did a few purchases that i also have to add. (Thanks Heather for the Mexi.!!) Maybe we can work on a trade???

Tom

Did the bears really kill everything?
What is your percentage of salvageable?
I have the feeling that unless they eat all the leaves, you can just put the plants back into the pots (wouldn't it be like the plants get a repotting)

Hien,
The bears didn't kill everything, alot of the plants weren't even disturbed. I was able to salvage about 1/2 of the plants that were damaged,Yes it is like repotting them. Most of the ones on the bottom shelves were either crushed from the falling trays on the top shelves or trampled on by the bears or both. They completely moved 1 shelf about 2 feet from were it was. I don't think they like the tast of them.

Tom

Hien,
The bears didn't kill everything, alot of the plants weren't even disturbed. I was able to salvage about 1/2 of the plants that were damaged,Yes it is like repotting them. Most of the ones on the bottom shelves were either crushed from the falling trays on the top shelves or trampled on by the bears or both. They completely moved 1 shelf about 2 feet from were it was. I don't think they like the tast of them.

Tom

Don't throw out even the one that got crushed totally & no roots remained or no leaves remained.
Sometimes,
-as long as they have a lot of roots, they can regrow the leaves.
-And vice versa, as long as they have some leaves , they can regrow the roots.

Latest posts

Back