Bear Damage to Greenhouses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the right attitude, they were here first...but...

There has been more notice of bears in the media over the last few years and it makes a person wonder about their food sources and natural habitat.

Barbara,
It is the right attitude, but.
I am thinking about getting my H.L. for deer, taste is much better. I don't think I would be able to shoot a bear even if given a chance to. It isn't as much as us getting into there habitat as they are getting back into their own. Their population has seen a considerable increase in numbers in the last say 10 years & are fighting for food & thus expanding their range to more people populated area's looking for food sources. With more abundance of food brings on a larger population growth & so on.

Tom

Barbara,
I am thinking about getting my H.L. for deer, taste is much better. I don't think I would be able to shoot a bear even if given a chance to. It isn't as much as us getting into there habitat as they are getting back into their own. Their population has seen a considerable increase in numbers in the last say 10 years & are fighting for food & thus expanding their range to more people populated area's looking for food sources. With more abundance of food brings on a larger population growth & so on.

Tom

The other day, I overheard two bears in the back yard complaining about how us ,the bipods, increase in numbers steadily year after year to no end. while expanding our range into their turf:D

How about an electric fence or is their fur to heavy? But if you put it at nose level or maybe suspend a grid. Just a thought.

OMG! I have bears all around; but never have they tried this. Actually this week is bear hunting season in NH!
36 odd wow!

Barbara,

Tom

Very true. We have more sightings of the once nearly extinct cougar in our region. My dog and I believe that we were followed by one through a 'wild' area where I found cougar foot prints. A couple weeks ago, it appears that a woman's horse was attacked by one. The world is getting to be an interesting place.

Barbara,
There has also been sightings of cougars here also. A guy I work with said he had 1 in his drivway & he lives about 1/2 hr away from me.

Peter,
I have them all around here to, but it was a mother with 1 maybe 2 cubs & 1 of the cubs got inside my Greenhouse & couldn,t get out without moms help. She was looking for food, They destroyed my sat, dish for the beehive, & my humming bird feeder. I am hoping it was only a 1 time thing. As the homeowners didn't pay for the damage.( around $5,000.00 in losses).

Tom

"It isn't as much as us getting into there habitat as they are getting back into their own."

This is exactly right. We pushed them out of their natural habitat and in time gone by we just killed them it they did not leave. Now that killing them is out of favor the population is growing. Many animals are actually more prevalent now then they were even before we arrived on the scene. Add to that their ability to adapt to the urban environment and you come up with an increase in their population. There are more whitetail dear in Texas than ever. They come right out on to ball fields to eat, they wander in the parks, they come up into peoples yards but you can not kill them within the city limits. I love it but many people don't and its one thing if is a deer, a coon or a rabbit. Its another thing if its a bear or a mountain lion.

I agree with Corbin! Bee hive keepers have many problems with bears here in Greece, too!! I believe that it is best to pay a little more so as to have your "property" protected rather than waiting for the subsidy (I hope it is the correct word) every time something like this happens and we all know that sometimes goverment does not give you one (at least paperwork here in Greece is a little strange)!!! It would be like paying for a perfect lock and door for your house!!!!It's an investment, don't you think? Good luck anyway...!!!! :)

Best regards, Thanasis...

Yes, I think I will save a few of them. Some of the paphs that I had on the top shelf I am trying to save. They moved 2 whole shelfs around & knocked all the trays off. They trashed a few of my phals, oncidiums & paphs that were on the bottom shelves & some that I think where on the top shelf. All together, I haven't counted yet, I''ll say about 100 pots that were in the 2 greenhouses I only brought in about 35 plants(some without pots)

Tom

I wonder what the heck piqued their curiosity to go in that greenhouse? Unless they are really young, they tend to steer clear of man made structures. Really dumb question to ask of you but by any chance were you having lunch out there and did you leave a part of a sandwich out there that they sniffed? Anyone leave any empty bags of chips out there?

Glad some of the plants were salvageable. If this was me, I would have been in tears.

Good ?, but no I don't eat in the greenhouse (or smoke). The only things I could come up with was they might have smelled honey from a bees nest, the flowers on my onc. 'Sharry Baby' (now in the house) or a few phals that were in BLOOM that they destroyed, or just the cubs curiosity.

I am glad that some were salvagable also, as I have a few large complex paphs ( Drulas) that I might not be able to replace. There is only 1 person that I know of that sells them (on ebay, Shermantp).

Tom

I eat in my greenhouse but then we're not in bear country or I'd have to stop doing that. Up north we've had them tear into our garbage cans to get at anything they decide smells interesting and they definitely rip apart the composter to get at vegetable, fruit, and berry scraps. Bears really can become destructive.

Where was the bees nest?

Yes, they are becoming more of a problem, esp. this time of year. They are getting ready for their yearly sleep!! The bees nest that I found was in the metal frame of the Greenhouse. I had sprayed some bees the weekend before the attack. but not the nest, I didn't know it was there until after the attack.

Tom

Latest posts

Back