Barnegate Lighthouse State Park

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Just birds. Don't want to waste anybody's time.

Yesterday, I traveled 1 1/2 hrs. south to the Barnegate Bay inlet. Heard there were Harlequin Ducks floating around over the weekend, and had to give it a try. Well, there wasn't any in sight. But the incidentals made up for it. It was cold, wind was howling, stayed almost 3hrs.

Brant (Branta bernicia) -has never been on 'the list', but when they swim over to investigate, who could resist a few mugshots?

Red Breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) First time I have seen the male. At least seven were feeding. No sentinel, all would dive at same time. The file photo on Wiki was taken a couple of miles from our home. The Barnegate Inlet is a hotspot to feed duing outgoing tide.

Female. Seen many. This one was very shy and hugged the jetty all day.

Dunlin (Calidris alpina hudsonia) They look like Sanderlings. But with Dunlins, the beak is longer and crooked about a third in from tip. I think their legs are longer also.

Purple Sandpiper (Calidris maratima) Fed non-stop while I was there. Easy to get close to, fun to watch, but for photos- head shots were hard to come by.

Great Northern Loon or Common Loon (Gavia immer) Seen my first one (last photo) on Chesapeak Bay last October. There are a few here, and not too skittish. Loons can hold their breath a long time. It is the state bird of Minnesota.
This is the winter plummage, different than breeding color. The last photo was taken last October, attached for comparison of color.

A split second before diving.

Old Squaw (Clangula hyemalis) Have not seen these in over thiry years. The Raritan Bay used to be full of these in winter, no more.
In flight (i know this is crappy, but wanted to show tail)

Family fun. Female is on right.

Harbor Seal (Phoca vitulina) We have seen these on occasion in the Raritan Bay (near home). They swim underwater. I guestimated where it would surface and got lucky.
It is true, I run when they are submerged.

Thanks for looking. :)

Great pics Clark. Helps me forget the bland scenery outside my window. It's so dark and dull here that it seems all the birds have packed up and gone south.

Thank you. :)

Eric- sapien free.
Joanne- yes, just like flowers.

Went back Friday afternoon. No Harlequins.
Merry Christmas.

Thank you Ty.
Perhaps our internet friends do not know, that summer is a one specie season at the shore. :evil:

Third trip had more charm than I could handle.
Besides getting something for the wall, had the pleasure to be birding next to John and Flo. Some retirees that were braving the icy jetty.
They came in from Michigan to see the Harlequins.

Happy couple going over the menu.

It got busy. Crazy amount of action right here. Saliva all over myself.
My memory card maxes out five shots after this:eek:

Add your own caption. It is exactly what it looks like.

Histrionicus histrionicus

Latest posts

Back