Average fc for phrags?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you measuring 2500 FC from Barrína leds?
And of that is your light intensity for 14 hours you are probably wasting a lot of electricity by providing more light than the plants need in a day.

Mid level of the plants, all at about the same height more or less w a light meter. And yea I don't think this eats too much into our electricity but yea maybe it's too much?

Mid level of the plants, all at about the same height more or less w a light meter. And yea I don't think this eats too much into our electricity but yea maybe it's too much?
What was the distance from the light to the light meter and how many light tubes are above the meter?
My Barrina tubes don't emitte 2500 FC until the meter is at a distance of 3".

What was the distance from the light to the light meter and how many light tubes are above the meter?
My Barrina tubes don't emitte 2500 FC until the meter is at a distance of 3".
I have 5 t8, the t5 didn't get close to what a friend of mine uses. Reads 2500 at about a ft and a half away from the lights

How wide is your grow area? I'm using 3 tubes covering 30" width.

Also in my opinion 12 hours of light is correct for phrags. The native habit stays around 12 day and 12 night. Some plant metabolism functions occur in darkness so staying with the times in nature seems wise to me.
The reason to run longer days with artificial light is when the light intensity is not enough to provide the daily light requirement (DLI).

How wide is your grow area? I'm using 3 tubes covering 30" width.

Also in my opinion 12 hours of light is correct for phrags. The native habit stays around 12 day and 12 night. Some plant metabolism functions occur in darkness so staying with the times in nature seems wise to me.
The reason to run longer days with artificial light is when the light intensity is not enough to provide the daily light requirement (DLI).
And what are your fc? I'll attach a pic

Well, I give my Cardinale and Sedenii direct sun all morning, until about 1PM in the summer (in the Philadelphia area - latitude matters!). Doesn't seem to burn them, and then they get reasonably bright light in winter, under artificial illumination (but I've never measured intensity).

With your 2500 FC on for 14 hours the DLI calculates to 25.0. five times more than the plants are going to use.
Here is a phrag seedling deflasked 6 weeks ago grown at DLI 1.6 for 5 weeks and increased to DLI 5.0 for the last week. Too much light I think.
IMG_20240423_185420845.jpg

All my Phragmipedium are in due-south windows. They bloom if they sieve summer outdoors with 80% full sun. Here’s Phragmipedium sargentianum/lindleyanum (as it came to me labeled), blooming now, having summered on the front porch out near the edge of the awning. Marks on the leaves are from a fertilizer burn in 2020.

Attachments

• IMG_7007.jpeg
    IMG_7007.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7001.jpeg
    IMG_7001.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6986.jpeg
    IMG_6986.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6990.jpeg
    IMG_6990.jpeg
  • IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
  • IMG_6988.jpeg
    IMG_6988.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Use whatever lights you end with as a starting guide only. Watch the plants and adjust the light levels as they develop. There isn’t a ‘correct’ light level for each species or hybrid.
These are a few plants of the hybrid ‘lovely Lynne ‘ growing in a west facing window where they receive full afternoon sun. The hybrid is basically kovachii and besseae.
The guides tell us that these species grow in lowish light conditions but this hybrid definitely needs higher light.
image.jpg

Use whatever lights you end with as a starting guide only. Watch the plants and adjust the light levels as they develop. There isn’t a ‘correct’ light level for each species or hybrid.
These are a few plants of the hybrid ‘lovely Lynne ‘ growing in a west facing window where they receive full afternoon sun. The hybrid is basically kovachii and besseae.
The guides tell us that these species grow in lowish light conditions but this hybrid definitely needs higher light.
View attachment 46995
How many hours per day do they receive full sun?

And what are your fc? I'll attach a pic

With your 2500 FC on for 14 hours the DLI calculates to 25.0. five times more than the plants are going to use.
Here is a phrag seedling deflasked 6 weeks ago grown at DLI 1.6 for 5 weeks and increased to DLI 5.0 for the last week. Too much light I think.
View attachment 46980
Dammit lol so what fc am I trying to shoot for?

Back