Aussie Dendrobiums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bench72

Went to the Gosford Orchid Fair last Saturday and one of the amazing things about the show was the amount of Australian Native Dendrobiums on show.. also, these have the most amazing fragrance.. so strong yet not overpowering.

1. Dendrobium cacatua 'Granny's Creek' - this should probably be called Dendrobium tetragonum fma cacatua.. basically the alba form of the tetragonum species.
3790670314_70bae09c40.jpg

2. Dendrobium Hilda Poxon 'Ah Leh' - this is a very popular hybrid between Dend tetragonum and Dend speciosum which are two cool growing species. The number of varieties of speciosums means that one can have a very varied collection of plants just based on this grex.
3789857607_d6c4c69c12.jpg

3. Dendrobium Anne's Rainbow Surprise 'Dustie' - the introduction of the species Dend bigibbum to the hybrid has added colour to the mix... these are sometimes referred to as Hot/Cold mix (seeing as bigibbum prefers a little warmer temps). These plants are pretty cool tolerant though esp if they are given a dryer conditions in winter.
3790668530_4b088719c4.jpg

4. Dendrobium Crooky 'Plum' - another of the hot/cold hybrid... this time with mainly Dend speciosum (50%) with only 12.5% bigibbum, and yet the colour still comes through very well.
3790671130_0db3157acf.jpg

and finally -

5. Dendrobium Aussie Angel x Jim Beck - yet another of the holt/cold mixes... this has 12.5% bigibbum, and the rest is mainly kingianum (43.75%) with a bit of tetragonum and speciosum... so this should be pretty cold tolerant.
3789854965_81e4e144f5.jpg

well that's all folks. Hope you enjoy getting to know some Aussies :D

cheers
tim

Fantastic plants - I'm not usually a big Dendrobium hybrid fan, but I love the last one! :clap:

Dan

wow... I really like the Dendrobium Hilda Poxon... Have you ever seen it made with one of the compact forms of Dend speciosum...

pitty, these are not easily available in Europe...

Thank you for all the lovely comments.. I'm glad you enjoyed meeting some Aussies! :)

Latest posts

Back