• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

As promised- Big Sale!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask why you're cleaning house? That is a lovely collection. Having sold all mine a couple years ago I now regret doing it. I hope you are keeping a few good ones.

At this time in my life, with my little ones getting bigger (2 and 3, about to be 3 and 4), I have been doing much reflecting on my life and putting things into their proper place. Perspective. My hobby has become a chore, taking time and attention away from my family. Not to mention the money I put into it, not only in new plants, but in equipment, energy bills, etc...

I know myself, I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy. I got to a point where it was time to buy a greenhouse, pour more money and time into my hobby, or scale back dramatically. I know it takes almost as much time and effort and energy to take care of 50 plants as it does for 20 or 10. At least it would for me. So, I had a decision to make. It was this or step it up. I want to be the best, most available dad and husband I can be. After many conversations with orchid people I came to this truth. I'd never regret sacrificing for the better of my family. Orchids will always be available. These formidable years in my children's lives are fleeting. I choose them.

I appreciate the concern Wendy. I really do. I know how it feels to lose a collection. I've done it before. Albeit for unhealthy, selfish reasons at the time. I was a drunk who could not support myself, let alone 75 plants. I watched them wither. This time it's different. I'll get to share what I have with those who could appreciate it. Someday years down the road I'll get back into it. But for now, I know what needs to be done. Thank you sincerely for the warning.

Good decision Adam! I grew orchids in the 70's and 80's and then family needs grew and gave them all up. Never regretted it! Into the 2000's, I started again. It was a good time for me to go back. A lot of changes, but I've got a whole heck of a lot of orchids, so I don't think I got left out. Wish you the best for your future!

I agree....you are making the right decision. Family comes first. Maybe down the road you will get a few plants again but right now you are making the best decision. All the best Adam and enjoy your family....they grow up way too fast. (Our 'baby boy' is now 26 and out on his own...seems like yesterday he was born!)

I'm with you on this one, Adam. We just spent a long weekend in Charlotte, goofing-off with our kids - 27 & 32 - and have never had a better time.

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

gotta do what you gotta do. i know growing orchids indoors can be a chore...there will be plenty of plants for when you are at a point to get back into the hobby.

Been there, done that. Love the few that I have and my only real regret is that I often feel out of touch with availability these days. Probably a good thing since I don't know what's out there and where to get it (though of course if I was serious I could just ask here!)

Someday, I may get back into it again but would need to have better conditions and other priorities than I have now.

Good luck on the sale, Adam! :)

Go! Cherish those family moments while they last and if you decide to get back into orchids, we will be here waiting for you! :evil:

Good choice Adam. One thing I will say about my rebuild is that I was much more particular and knew what I wanted. I'm sure you'll be back in the groove in no time.

I hope you'll check in with us once in awhile (if time and family duties permit)....it would be nice to have you stay around. All the best Adam.

Latest posts

Back