aplectrum hyemale in fall

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this native orchid is called putty root. it may be fairly common in the south and mid-atlantic region, but it has been hard to find in upstate ny. it used to be fairly common, but in colonial and former times, the roots were used as a glue to hold together broken pottery. it must be around in different places but we hadn't seen this species in new york until last week. having received directions from an undisclosed source to an undisclosed location, we wandered around a bit until finally finding the colony on just about the highest point on a hill. (I did have a gps location but my reader wasn't cooperating because the previous operator had set it to 'power saver' mode,... (I wonder who that was? :eek: )

there were a few other interesting plants there as well. one thing I should point out about putty root, is that instead of leaves emerging in early spring and the flowers coming up later, the single leaf of this plant comes out in mid-fall, usually early to mid october. if a flower does come up in the spring, the leaf has started to fade and is withering away as the plant draws the moisture and nutrients from the leaf back down to the root, and then using that to fuel the growth of the flowering stem. as a result, the best time to look for putty root is in the fall and early winter, when most other vegetation has cleared away and sometimes a light snow covering the ground will make it almost easy to see the single upright leaf rising out of the snow. also if a plant has flowered, the tall flower stem can be seen fairly easily. we found sixteen leaves and none had any old flower stems, so maybe that's a sign that next year they will have flowers!

puttyroot1010a.JPG

checking out the main colony

puttyroot1010b.JPG

ken looking back wondering when i'll figure out how to use a gps reader

puttyroot1010c.JPG

a cool plant called 'walking fern'

puttyroot1010d.JPG

wildflower called 'herb robert'

puttyroot1010e.JPG

looks like an 'elbow tree'; maybe it has an Ent as an ancestor ;)

puttyroot1010f.JPG

next four pics documentation of each of sixteen plants

puttyroot1010g.JPG

puttyroot1010h.JPG

puttyroot1010i.JPG

rest of pics in reply thread

part two

puttyroot1010j.JPG

puttyroot1010k.JPG

showing back side of leaf

puttyroot1010l.JPG

some kind of tiny critter on one of the leaves; anyone know what they are?

puttyroot1010m.JPG

ken admiring the deeeep view on the back side of the mountain

puttyroot1010n.JPG

no, that isn't moss on the ground, those are trees waaaaay down there!

puttyroot1010o.JPG

we were avoiding stepping on red eft salamanders all over the woods.
some were brown, others were still orange. this one wanted no part of
posing for the camera

puttyroot1010p.JPG

another nice view. there was a huge spread view, but there were so many
trees on the edge you couldn't get a clean picture

Theoretically, they will also be found on LI...where I planted them last spring. I'll have to ask my son (who's out there now) to check the woods...they haven't come up here in Queens though.

cheaters! ;)

I have some seedlings on reserve from troy meyers and was wondering about planting them somewhere upstate; only problem is that native plant purists and researchers hate it when someone plants species that aren't originally from an area, because they worry about unfit genes corrupting local species plants. I would never plant them and claim that they were 'native' plants, though it would be nice to have some nearby so that I could get some decent pictures and not have to drive many hours away :)

Last edited:
Back