aplectrum hyemale and others at sweet briar college, va

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
putty root found at sweet briar college, va. the campus has at least 8 nature preserves and areas in and around it. we only had time to check out part of one.

pr1.JPG

pr2.JPG

directly under the stem is the dried up leaf, very hard to see. the leaf is present in the fall/winter and then fades before the flowers open

pr3.JPG

pr4.JPG

pr5.JPG

pr6.JPG

used a flash to bring out the colors
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

later will add some pics of tipularia leaves a bit faded

Very nice. reminds me of when I found my first wild native orchid [goodyera] in the woods around Plattekille. With development I guess the plants aren't there anymore. :(

Which photo has the more accurate color?

hmmm, I would say it is between the last two photos, but what the eye sees in the shade and what is really there is tough to say sometimes. Being in the shade so much the second to last picture is what color I saw most but when a beam of light would come in through the leaves they would look more like the last picture. the flash really gets to the colors more, but when the camera gets done with it's electronic translation sometimes the color gets upped a little and the hue isn't exactly correct.

hmmm, I would say it is between the last two photos, but what the eye sees in the shade and what is really there is tough to say sometimes. Being in the shade so much the second to last picture is what color I saw most but when a beam of light would come in through the leaves they would look more like the last picture. the flash really gets to the colors more, but when the camera gets done with it's electronic translation sometimes the color gets upped a little and the hue isn't exactly correct.
That's where Photoshop comes in handy. Thanks.

That's where Photoshop comes in handy. Thanks.

actually these pictures are after canon photo pro, and it gets tough to come up with just the same color, especially when I'm looking at a laptop screen and the overhead bulbs are those compact fluorescents! (smile) my eyes get tired after a while from squinting to see if the color is just right. i've found for some reason I can open a raw file from my camera and edit it in canon photo pro and it looks great, but when I transfer it to photoshop the color really looks like crap. good thing I bought p.s. on ebay used, I really only use it for the filters and some exposure editing.

actually these pictures are after canon photo pro, and it gets tough to come up with just the same color, especially when I'm looking at a laptop screen and the overhead bulbs are those compact fluorescents! (smile) my eyes get tired after a while from squinting to see if the color is just right. i've found for some reason I can open a raw file from my camera and edit it in canon photo pro and it looks great, but when I transfer it to photoshop the color really looks like crap. good thing I bought p.s. on ebay used, I really only use it for the filters and some exposure editing.
What version of Photoshop are you using? CS3 has the RAW format built in -- I have no trouble using it within Photoshop (although I will admit that I usually do some editing/color correction after I bring an image into Photoshop). But I also have my monitor calibrated for use with Photoshop.

Hello Dot,
I have cs2 for mac, and I believe it has or I downloaded the update that allows or coordinates the use of my camera's profile and raw images and all that. It could be something else that is too simple for me to comprehend, like mismatched color profiles between canon photo pro and photoshop. The first opens in one profile, and may be being saved in another profile when I convert it to a jpeg and then when photoshop is opening it, it may be getting opened in another profile.... I can use the programs and I finally figured out how useful the graph is at telling if my exposure is correct or in decent shape and also using the color temperature dial for adjusting from the color balance the camera assumes is best when I took the picture back to what I thought I remembered things looking like when I took the picture (whew). Was much simpler in one way when I used to just take the film to the lab......
It could even be that the image that is opened by photoshop is lower-res for editing but can be viewed as actual file which would look better, though I don't think that is it. Pagemaker had something like that where you could open and view files at a low-res setting for faster opening and stuff but when it was printed out it would be at the higher setting

Back