Quantcast

Aplectrum hyemale - a terrestrial native

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I've always liked this one. In the fall, it puts up a single big striped leaf and it photosynthesizes in the bright winter light. Once it gets warm, it sheds that leaf and shoots up a spike and blooms in mid to late May. While researching for an ethnobotany class, I found out that apparently the dried tuberous root of this orchid used to be carried as a good luck charm by slaves in the southeastern USA.

These things are impossible for my camera to photograph, so only two shots turned out to be somewhat respectable.

C

cdub

Very nice artistic shot Zach. Unfortunately these don't grow in any sunny locations and most cameras have a tough time with that strong green hue present in the understory of the woodland.

C

cdub

By the way, Zach and I will be trying to one-up each other all spring and summer with posting the blooming native orchids.

P

PHRAG

cdub said:
By the way, Zach and I will be trying to one-up each other all spring and summer with posting the blooming native orchids.

First one to pose nude with a native orchid wins.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Zach,
Nice photo, and the tree in the background is an American Beech, an indicator species for the typical habitat for Putty Root. I tried growing these in pots, and in the ground. The big problem is that squirrels in my area love to eat the tubers. Where I find them there are enough coyotes that squirrels are not too common. I guess I'll have to import coyotes to my back yard.

Latest posts