Quantcast

Aplectrum hyemale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I could never photograph this one with my old point-and-shoot. Autofocus has a hard time with these colors and the low-light areas these plants grow. I finally have a dSLR this year (thanks Lance!) and things worked out much better.

This monotypic genus produces a single white-striped leaf in the late fall and photosynthesizes during the winter and early spring. The leaf dies back in mid spring and a single inflorescence is produced. They kind of remind me of little Cymbidiums.

NYEric

Reaction score
Oh how I hate my system administrators! If I could I'd staple their privates to a desk and push them out my [36 floor] window! :mad: Hopefully I'll see the photo some day! There's a vendor on eBay selling pogonias, spiranthes, and a bunch of other native orchids. If I wasn't working on my Cyp, Phrag besseae hybrid, and illegal [er, I mean difficult to acquire] paph collections I'd jump in for a bunch! Finally after 4 refreshings! Nice photo. It cool that these grow from your area all the way up the Northeast. hanx for posting.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Nice shot Zac! These really are tough to photo and I never got a good shot of one either. Another one that is REALLY tough to photograph well is Tipularia discolor...now if you can get a good shot of that one, well, hat's off to you!

There is a genus in the orient that reminds me of Aplectrum (similar growth habit, etc), in fact it is a fairly close relative, Cremastra appendiculata. Here's one in my garden:

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Cool flowers on both plants. Both are good photos, also -- difficult plants to photograph well.

C

cdub

Nice shot Zac! These really are tough to photo and I never got a good shot of one either. Another one that is REALLY tough to photograph well is Tipularia discolor...now if you can get a good shot of that one, well, hat's off to you!
Here are some shots I have of T. discolor.

Closest shot I could get.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
So cool! Y'all are making me want a new camera now! I can't photograph anything white decently at all this year! I should bring the real camera to work and just leave it there. While the iPhone camera is okay, it is only 2 mpx. My old point in shoot is 3.1 I think so maybe a little better.

Oh well.
So, how much do these dslrs cost anyway? It may have to go on a long list of things I would like to eventually do...

Oh, and Tom, nice garden plant. :)

Latest posts