Angraecoid save update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why a break? did i have to apologize for something?! :confused:
and i don't care about the name...

do you really think he only brought seeds back? :rollhappy: this is why i laugh...
he may have to say that, but it's a joke...

that's all...you're the one who speak a lot! and i'm not arguing, but as i'm french and as i feel concerned i just use my right to tell you how wrong you are.

why truth should be annoying to you? :wink: i'm not arguing!!! please, respect my freedom of speech :(

There is documentated film footage of the expédition... the bundle of plants he brought back did not look like seeds to me...:wink: when I say bundle I mean truckloads.

The worst part of collecting was done in the early days when orchid hunters collected all they could and destroyed the rest to insure the plants would bring more in sales. That's when the real crimes were done, but they didn't know any better.

Coming back to the angraecoid collection, I've been told that Geneviève Lecoufle will be in Montreal for the occasion, that is if her health makes it possible. I look forward to meeting her.

B/W, I hope you stay active on this forum. If not, I'll shoot my mouth out again. :eek:

It's true that in the 19 century orchid hunters were ruthless and collected and destroyed remaining plants with little discernation but to be honest it is peanuts compared to what has been done in the 20th century with what is really the destruction of the habitat, the search for precious lumber, grazing land ( and for angrecoids, the making of charcoal in Madagascar)…the encroachment of wild land by farmers and the culture by burning the land and I’m not mentioning Palm tree plantations in Asia…

As a side note, Cousteau did not come up with a spontaneous ecological conscience, true he was fascinated by the sea..but if you watch his early films, if you read his early writing ( and I’m not mentioning his collaborationist brother) you will notice it was only much later in his career that he embraced ecology…when he realized how marketable it could be..

Nowadays, it is no secret that a few of Cousteau’s expeditions were also in part coupled with spying for the French Military( he was after all an navy officer on prolonged leave)
his later obsession with overpopulation have a nasty smack of Malthusianism.
As for G.L. her health has been mentionned already, I don't know the rules of etiquette in the US and Canada but I can tell you that in France those infos are not shared on a forum.

Sorry to be the party pooper.

Different culture here. Although I'm French, this is North America and we know everything we want or don't want to know about every celebrities. So this morning, Charlie Sheen has gone into rehab (Do I really care?) And US presidents get in the news almost every time they get a bad cough. Even the Obama's dog made more news than many critical findings in science. We're so used to talk about other people's ailments we don't even think twice about reporting them. Remember Clinton's escapade? Mega news in America, almost ho-hum in the rest of the world.
As for the party pooper part, well, I can take it. :)

In Quebec, we have a tendancy to go for compassion when we learn a public figure is sick, and I believe that for us orchidophiles, Geneviève Lecoufle is one such person. You have known such a person yourself Lise.
I mentioned Bill Clinton as an example of different perception between the US and the rest of the world.
Here when we learn a public figure has a cancer or is sick, we're sure to find doctors on television explaining what type of cancer or other ailments he has, what are the prognostics for survival and so on. In a way we learn about the disease while being compassionate at the same time.
As for the question about illnesses of celebrities, I agree we don't need to know most of the time (not that we have a choice). Once in a while though, there are people passing that we must know about. That said, we're generally more respectuous of other people in Canada than in the US, which is why many American consider us a gentle and polite people. :)

B/W, I hope you stay active on this forum. If not, I'll shoot my mouth out again. :eek:

:wink: I think the phrase is 'shoot my mouth off ...' but we know what you mean :D

... and the part about north american (or maybe american) news being over-abundant, it's very true, and often people in circles like the orchid world, are more semi-private than public, because so many people know others and are concerned enough so that they appreciate being told about someone's condition. I wouldn't want to go to the new york times and print it, but in a sheltered circle like this or an orchid email list it's probably not an off-hand thing (in the u.s., I appreciate the difference in France)

Back