Aaaagghhh@!!!@&&*

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I've been knocking everything over in the GH today, and snapped off a seed capsule on a micranthum I bred just less than a month ago.:mad::mad:

Has anyone successfully greencapped micranthum at 30 days post pollination?

son of a....

it's been that kind of day around here too....

And it was only 7:56 am when you posted.

Sorry Rick, can't help you with regards to the micranthum but I feel your pain. I'm going to have to repot my Mex. this morning and I am afraid a lot of chopping off of growths is going to occur. :(

Rick, I think your pods in the bin. My notes say the pod is right from
7 months onwards so 30 days would be out.
If it makes you feel any better, I crossed 2 very dark plum Phalaenopsis for a friend of mine earlier this year, the pods WAS coming along very nicely, absolutely huge actually until he decided to have a cleanup and cut off any spikes that had no flowers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup. sorry to hijack yer thread...
it's been like this for a couple of days out this way, though...

Major bummer about the micranthum seed capsule. I don't think that 30 days is anywhere near long enough though. The only way to know for sure is to try. We might all learn something.

Last edited:
I sent in a paph capsule to Troy, that I knocked off accidentally. It had probably been on the plant 3-4 weeks. For grins, I was hoping there'd be some viable seed...and there was. But, from the sample percentage there'd only be 1 to 2 plants that would come out of it. If the cross had been a very important one, it would have been worth flasking. I chose to chuck it since it wasn't irreplaceable.

If you want, you can send it to Troy-I believe he charges a nominal assay fee and at least you'll know for sure.

I sent in a paph capsule to Troy, that I knocked off accidentally. It had probably been on the plant 3-4 weeks. For grins, I was hoping there'd be some viable seed...and there was. But, from the sample percentage there'd only be 1 to 2 plants that would come out of it. If the cross had been a very important one, it would have been worth flasking. I chose to chuck it since it wasn't irreplaceable.

If you want, you can send it to Troy-I believe he charges a nominal assay fee and at least you'll know for sure.

I've got an email into Troy for his opinion too. Since it's a species, he'll assay and flask for free if he thinks its worth it.

I have the microscopic capacity at work to assay it too, but I wouldn't expect the seed volume to be high enough to waste much on a slide and still have some to plate out. Also I wouldn't want to open the capsule in TN and then send it on (contaminated) to Troy for flasking.

Latest posts

Back