a few more stellar objects part three

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me want to get a telescope!

do your research..the key is a good mount for tracking and good glass or a mirror. You can do a lot with 80 mm refractors (especially Triple Chromatics) but you wont see any color through the lens and many nebulae are hard to find. All these images look like smudges, even in my ten inch reflector , except the orion, but you can't see any color.

Ho-lee Hell. Those are awesome.

What does it mean that the photos are stacked? Is it like, they are so faint that they have to be placed on top of each other to amplify definition/color/etc?

basically, yes
..the stacking program builds each light speck on another..and identifies which is noise (using control shots called darks and bias frames, these frames are shot with your lens cap on), thus subtracting the noise. the information in the stacked picture is compressed. You 'stretch' it out using Photoshop. Stretching referring to light curves, color balance,saturation, etc.

Last edited:
an improvement on the andromeda using same photos..used more layering In PS
22583682262_c7a8a036dc_c.jpg

Pleaides ..learning a different workflow for processing stacked photos..closer to how people with those that have CCD cameras (LGRB method) process their photos.
I overdid it with the smart sharpen (PS), the black halos around the medium stars, will try to rework it later. But I am happy about the faint nebula between the top stars. I want to take my 80 mm out next month and get a wider field image that shows all the large faint nebula field that extends to four times this size. This was taken with a 10 inch newtonian f3.9 and a canon 6D
22846450390_20185067db_c.jpg

redo of Andromeda, basically what I am doing differently is using levels more effectively, magic wanding, and smart shrapening all in the luminance layer (B&W) to bring out as much contrast as possible. Then I paste it to the RGB layer (which, to reduce color noise, is blurred). The details are more integrated and the image has a more natural feel to it. I also learned how to fix the lens aberrations (coma). I may have overdone it with the saturation though

23202317215_0e38dfa460_c.jpg

Love the pictures!! Astronomy is my other lesser hobby. Andromeda is very nice showing M32 and M110 in one picture.

Can you actually see these things or does the photograph time exposure make them visible?

most things are smudges or very faint..clusters are very visible. the Orion is very bright but no color. Cant see the red nebulas...I have to guess and take a picture to locate.

Latest posts

Back