A discussion on long petal paphs.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrilloenglish

Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope to start a discussion and information session on longer petal paphs and their culture, specifically relating to their petals and the care/protection of their petals.

Every year I bloom various sanderianum hybrids (specifically Angel Hair, Michael Koops, Paul Parks, etc.) Sadly though, every year I somehow end up with damaged and frizzled petals. And, every year I modify culture to protect the growth and presentation of the flower's petals. While I know that high humidity is a factor in keeping the petals developing nicely, what other "tricks" are used to protect the growing of these petals and preventing them from dying prematurely?

We all know how sensitive they are too. A strong fan will blow the petals and cause damage; wet petals that stick onto the plant or pot will also kill the petals.... the tribulations are many!

Anyone willing to discuss tricks of the trade to keep their sandies, and their hybrids, exhibiting petals worthy of awe and admiration?

Christian,
central NJ

Do you know how the petals are getting damaged? It's obvious you're aware of the potential dangers and prevention comes in to play the strongest. I'm not sure any other tips/advice can be given that you haven't mentioned. I do move mine into the house so although I'm sacrificing some humidity it's taking them out of direct sun, which could be a factor. I have not complaints about how long the flowers/petals last. When people bring them to shows or club meetings they normally use some type of cloth or cotton, using it like a bib, to prevent the petals from flying around.

I like how our multiflorals have responded to semi-hydro, personally. Gives nice, even hydration. Maybe you've noticed how multis can change the petal attitude very quickly. I've seen a Temptation, for instance, have perfect petal stance in the grow range then get totally wonky in the car and on the show table due to changes in temp and humidity. Semi-hydro has reduced this issue for us. I don't think we've bloomed any sandies in s/h yet, but maybe s/h would help getting those petals to unfurl better??? You could water very frequently to keep those cells plump and expanding with little limit without harm of rotting roots. You'd still need to keep the petal tips from bonking things though.

Hello all,

I hope to start a discussion and information session on longer petal paphs and their culture, specifically relating to their petals and the care/protection of their petals.

Every year I bloom various sanderianum hybrids (specifically Angel Hair, Michael Koops, Paul Parks, etc.) Sadly though, every year I somehow end up with damaged and frizzled petals. And, every year I modify culture to protect the growth and presentation of the flower's petals. While I know that high humidity is a factor in keeping the petals developing nicely, what other "tricks" are used to protect the growing of these petals and preventing them from dying prematurely?

We all know how sensitive they are too. A strong fan will blow the petals and cause damage; wet petals that stick onto the plant or pot will also kill the petals.... the tribulations are many!

Anyone willing to discuss tricks of the trade to keep their sandies, and their hybrids, exhibiting petals worthy of awe and admiration?

Christian,
central NJ

Do you have the same problems with long petalled Phrags?

I've moved mine to hanging baskets, and usually face them away from the prevailing fan breezes to keep the petals from blowing back onto itself.

Latest posts

Back