2 not so perfect phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bcostello

Here is a first bloomer. You can see the imperfections in the pouch. I was a little disappointed with the outcome overall.

Phrag. Andean Fire (lindleyanum 'Claire' x besseae flavum 'Phyllis'

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

and Phrag. (besseae 'Neon Flash' x Lutz Rollke 'Emily')
Is the toothed pouch considered bad form?

IMG_4012.jpg

The first one looks like a lindleyanum, interesting color and shape for the besseae cross. Whatever the toothed pouch is considered a bad form or not, i like it!

Yes, your first one is a straight lindleyanum and NOT lindleyanum x besseae. Either it got mislabeled, or who ever made the cross got some lindleyanum pollen on the staminode resulting in some selfings and some lindleyanum x besseae. You got the selfing.

Pure Phrag. lindleyanum's are hard to find now, so consider your self lucky.

Robert

I also believe that the first is a lindleyanum since the second is very beautiful, and strong colors and striking

Yes, your first one is a straight lindleyanum and NOT lindleyanum x besseae. Either it got mislabeled, or who ever made the cross got some lindleyanum pollen on the staminode resulting in some selfings and some lindleyanum x besseae. You got the selfing.

Robert

I believe it, after reading the description on Phragweb about lindleyanum. It states that plant has long linear leaves with a yellow edge, and that is exactly what the leaves look like. Very different than all my other phrags.

There is nothing wrong with these first time bloomers, they'll get better!

I think the tooths on the pouch of besseae 'Neon Flash' x Lutz Rollke 'Emily' is ok. However hopefully you get a larger pouch next time:) I think it will get better

Is the toothed pouch considered bad form?

It has been suggested that teeth are characteristic of some 3N and 4N phrags. You should be able to search some threads that refer to it. I think as long as they are symmetrical it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing, though perhaps a matter of individual taste.

It has been suggested that teeth are characteristic of some 3N and 4N phrags. You should be able to search some threads that refer to it. I think as long as they are symmetrical it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing, though perhaps a matter of individual taste.

The teeth are only characteristic of 3N or 4N plants when they are on the petals, not on the pouch. I think the teeth on the pouch is a characteristic that got inherited from some of the species that were used. Phrag. longifolium hybrids often do that, look at the pictures of Mem. Estelle Getty - longifolium x fischeri.

Robert

The teeth are only characteristic of 3N or 4N plants when they are on the petals, not on the pouch. I think the teeth on the pouch is a characteristic that got inherited from some of the species that were used. Phrag. longifolium hybrids often do that, look at the pictures of Mem. Estelle Getty - longifolium x fischeri.

Robert

Right!

Robert

I'm agreeing, it is a selfing of linleyanum,

Latest posts

Back