some kind of low K ...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh, completely off topic - some years ago I spent a couple weeks on a ranch in New Mexico that was surrounded by BLM grazing land. The tap water stank of cows, I could barely stand to shower in it much less drink it; I drove 20 miles into town to buy cases of bottled water.

Did you come out smelling worse then you went in?:D

finally, I think it will be better for me to try rain water + K-lite if possible to get some. At least I will know what I water with and it will be easier. :D

Hello tuti,

here is the solution I have been using for a month now, and I will continue the same way as is seems to be good for me.

2g/10l of ammonitrate (16,5% N as NH4+, 16,5%N as N03-)
+3ml/10l of fish mix 6-4-5 NPK
with well municipal water (quite low hardness)
NPK is 85ppm 12ppm 15ppm
Water naturally contains both Ca and Mg (and certainly the fish mix too)

New roots are about twice bigger than previously and quite numerous.
Sounds good to me. :)

I spray a kelp extract once a week

Hello tuti,

here is the solution I have been using for a month now, and I will continue the same way as is seems to be good for me.

2g/10l of ammonitrate (16,5% N as NH4+, 16,5%N as N03-)
+3ml/10l of fish mix 6-4-5 NPK
with well municipal water (quite low hardness)
NPK is 85ppm 12ppm 15ppm
Water naturally contains both Ca and Mg (and certainly the fish mix too)

New roots are about twice bigger than previously and quite numerous.
Sounds good to me. :)

I spray a kelp extract once a week

Those Ammonium/nitrate ratios and the N/P/K ratios are very simmilar to the nutricote formulation I am planning to trial next summer. Do you use it every watering? Are you adding trace elements? 3ml of fish in 10lt of water is very low. What is the EC of your final mix?
But yes if the roots are doing well the plant is happy!

Trace elements: there are some in the water (I don't know what exactly) and others in the fish mix fertilizer. And of course, the kelp extract contains high rate of them.
I add fish mix only once a week in the water. The rest of the time, only ammonitrate at 2g/10l
One Phrag pearcei is throwing about 15-18 new growths from a 5-6 growths plant.:D
I have three new growths on Paph. violascens whereas previously I only had one growth each year, going smaller each time. Now I'm waiting to see if these growths will be Bigger. That's one of THE tests.

I second Mikes comment! My vio has been sitting and sulking for two years now without any significant change at all (fortunately it has not lost any leaves either .....yet!)

Violascens is the ultimate test...

Yes, so is anitum... I already have a nice looking plant (dark blue-green leaves) and I hope to get more than 2 flowers on the first bloom, that would be a fantastic result!! I should not wait too long now... :)

Latest posts

Back