Safari pesticide question

Discussion in 'Paphiopedilum' started by BrucherT, Mar 12, 2020.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Mar 12, 2020 #1

BrucherT

BrucherT

BrucherT

ST Supporter ST Supporter

Hey all. Hope you’re well and not too freaked about this virus.

I am wondering what folks think of what I did today. What’s done is done but it occurs to me that I maybe should have asked.

Here it is: I am having a moderate mealybug and scale problem, as well as fungus gnats here and there (they have seasonal waves and it’s been warm here in Chicago).

Today, I watered all Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium. I used one gallon RO water mixed with K-Lite (about a year with it, I like the steady growth and no burn to roots or leaves), to which I also added 2 grams of Safari pesticide. Unlike usually, I poured some on leaves and leaf axils.

I let each pot drain into a bucket and after I ran out of the first gallon of water, I started to reuse it for other plants.

I did this with nearly all my orchids until the gallon was gone.

What I’m wondering is, did I make a huge mistake? I assumed the Safari was still effective (I don’t have a lot of it to play with) and that there’s still enough fertilizer in the water to be effective. In 4 or 4 days, I will water again as normal, no Safari.

Am I ok here? I watered my P. volonteanum in high spike (10 inches and growing, bud seems small); is it likely to mess that up?

All feedback appreciated.

Thank you!

Djthomp28 likes this.
  2. Mar 13, 2020 #2

Rockbend

Rockbend

Rockbend

FWIW - I don't like to mix chemicals: I fertilize only when I fertilize, I fungicide only when I fungicide, etc. YMMV

3. Mar 13, 2020 #3

Ray

Ray

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast Staff Member Moderator ST Supporter

I generally avoid mixing "nutrients" with "pesticides" as well, but I don't think that was a particular problem in this case. However, you did two things I would not give you high grades for:

1) Never reuse pour-through of anything. Liquids are perfect vectors for sharing pathogens - bacteria, fungi and viruses.
    2) When using pesticides, in addition to saturating the potting medium, it helps to SPRAY the vegetation to wet it completely. (I know Safari is systemic, but if foliar applied, it has contact and translaminar properties, as well.)

The label calls for 0.5-1 tsp/gallon. Is 2 grams within that range?

Plus, it, like most insecticides, does not kill juveniles, so you'll need to do two more <proper> treatments at one-week intervals.

Silverwhisp and BrucherT like this.
  4. Mar 13, 2020 #4

BrucherT

BrucherT

BrucherT

Hey thank you...oops. My bad. But my plants all grow in pretty much the same mix, so close to one another...I figured it was just sort of a given that they share stuff. But I regret it now. Yes, I would say the 2g goes within that instruction but I bought mine loose on eBay, with only verbal instructions.

QUOTE="Ray, post: 682483, member: 45"]I generally avoid mixing "nutrients" with "pesticides" as well, but I don't think that was a particular problem in this case. However, you did two things I would not give you high grades for:

1) Never reuse pour-through of anything. Liquids are perfect vectors for sharing pathogens - bacteria, fungi and viruses.
    2) When using pesticides, in addition to saturating the potting medium, it helps to SPRAY the vegetation to wet it completely. (I know Safari is systemic, but if foliar applied, it has contact and translaminar properties, as well.)

The label calls for 0.5-1 tsp/gallon. Is 2 grams within that range?

Plus, it, like most insecticides, does not kill juveniles, so you'll need to do two more <proper> treatments at one-week intervals.[/QUOTE]

5. Mar 13, 2020 #5

KateL

KateL

KateL

For me (no expertise), I would worry more about Ray’s 1) than 2). I have not used Safari, as far as I can recall, but I find slipper buds/blossoms to be especially sensitive to direct chemical applications. That said, it can’t be helped sometimes and you gotta kill the sap-sucking critters. Finally, orchid growers - particularly Paph growers - tend to see the beauty that lies ahead of us; as long as you don’t keep doing that which you regret, it’s a better way to go.
    P.S. Grams are a measurement of mass, teaspoons are a measurement of volume, so they are not directly comparable. However, I have read that one teaspoon of (dry) granulated sugar is equal to about 4.2 grams. :)

6. Mar 15, 2020 #6

DrLeslieEe

DrLeslieEe

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species ST Supporter

I agree with Ray and Rockbend.

Do not reuse old treat water between plants. You may be treating a pest with one chemical but spread a bacteria disease in that water. A repeat to get the new hatchlings in 10-12 days is needed to fully wipe out the pests. I use the systemic Merit and have never seen a scale or mealies in over 3 years. Note: I quarantine and treat all new plants and returning plants from shows for 2 weeks. This is important as they will introduce critters in less than 2 weeks!. After Merit, I will spray with horticultural oil a month after to control spider mites on my Phals esp the underside of leaves.

I also agree with KateL that some chemicals when sprayed on flowers/buds and even on plants with buds, can create problems with deformed flowers or even blast or damage them. I usually do not spray on the flower stems, but if I do (by mistake) I will spray rinse the chemicals off with RO water. This is the case with Physan, which can poke holes in flowers (which I have done on show flowers before the show!).

7. Mar 15, 2020 #7

Phred

Phred

Phred

I grow indoors and bring trays of plants to the sink. I water with my mix from a 5gal bucket with a pump and sink sprayer contraption I made. If I water everything it’s about 35 gallons at a time... thats a lot of water and chemicals. I’m not advocating doing this but I have reused water in the past... mostly in the winter when I couldn’t bring my plants outside and lots need to be treated. Outside a few gallons in a sprayer would treat my whole collection. My concern with reusing water has more to do with what the pH coming out of each pot might be than spreading disease. It would depend on how long you ran water through each plant. On a side note - when I lived in Colorado I used to buy orchids from a retailer who’s shop was on the first floor of an old house. Her staff walked around with a bucket of water and dunked each plant whenever it was watering time. It obviously worked for her. I guess if I had a plant I was suspicious about I would water that one last... lol

Directions for imidacloprid recommend mixing with fertilizer to help root uptake. Safari is a similar chemical so I use it with fertilizer and have had no problems.

8. Mar 16, 2020 #8

troy

troy

troy

I would listen to ray, period. He's right, reread what he wrote

Draft saved Draft deleted