Another Paph. lowii ('New Horizon' x 'Mem. Agnes Helbling' Am/Aos)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
All buds open. Kind of pastel colored compared to others I've had. I like the form though.

lowiiallopen2012.jpg

I have two of these, both monster plants that I inherited as tiny guys. Neither has flowered. My other lowii's have twice :(
I am going to taunt mine with your beautiful photo!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I do not know about that one, but this kind of pastel color usually comes from haynaldianum...

At a point of the lowii history, Norris Powell, and another grower who is still alive, sold a lot of Tony Semple x lowii as lowii, because they were indeed faster grower, and with bigger flowers.

A large batch of Tony Semple too in the 90's has been sold as lowii pretty much worldwide, big flowers, quite fat segments, pale color, some went awarded by the AOS as I remember.

Some of those further generation hybrids got AOS awards indeed... If you google Toni Semple, you will find photos of very similar flowers, pastel colored.

Just speculation, but it looks very similar to the lowii 'Albino Beauty' x 'Gigantic' that Orchid Inn also sells. They all come out pastel--a very nice cross IMO. I've seen 4 of that cross in persion, and this picture looks the same. So could just be a tag mixup.

Just speculation, but it looks very similar to the lowii 'Albino Beauty' x 'Gigantic' that Orchid Inn also sells. They all come out pastel--a very nice cross IMO. I've seen 4 of that cross in persion, and this picture looks the same. So could just be a tag mixup.

Ya, Who's to say at this point? I have a pastel faerianum that had an alba parent too. So the notion is not impossible. But also there are so many natural variation of lowii so who knows what genes are getting unlocked with all the different crossings going on.

I bought the plant from FV so not sure where the tag mix up would be either.

I have 2 of that same cross from FV too, so will let you know how they turn out -- will be at least another year or 2 for mine.

Back