Habenaria medusa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
First few flowers on this fascinating tuberous terrestrial species just bloomed!

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

Very nice!
I ordered one for the EOC show, so any help about the culture is very wellcome.:)
What do you do with the tuber? (How often do you water it?)

Thanks, all. :)

Very nice!
I ordered one for the EOC show, so any help about the culture is very wellcome.:)
What do you do with the tuber? (How often do you water it?)

Hi Ruli. I have it growing in a well-drained loam soil with a lot of organic matter. I think habenarias must be fed heavily during the growing season as some of them, like this one, flowers after producing only 4-5 leaves. So maximising the amount of nutrients to produce a strong spike is essential, I think. I water once daily in this tropical environment. This one has not gone dormant for me yet as I got it as a sprouted corm last year. I have managed to keep Pecteilis susannae (close relative of habenaria) alive for 4 years now and they multiply every year. After flowering the shoot will die off. I then keep the tubers in the original pot and place it in a shady dry area. I give a bit of water about once a week. After 2-3 months of dormancy, a new shoot will emerge and I repot when the new shoot has its own set of roots.

Latest posts

Back