Cypripedium acaule seedling

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
October 2010 I bought 5 acaule seedling and planted them in peat/kanuma. Today ( Juny 2011) I put them free, but they do not continue growing . Anyone an explanation ?

October 2010

Juny 2011

From what I know Acaule is very tempermental , they don't like to be disturbed. The less handling the better. Also cyp seedlings just coming out of flask, or vernalization should not have any direct sunlight as that will kill them.

Of all cyps, acaule is the hardest to grow from seed,or in non-mycorrhizal media. The only success story, and it was qualified success, was with a 50:50 mixture of sand and milled sphagnum. The thing about acaule is that in the right conditions...which is very sandy and very acidic, with very low nutrients, it is actually pretty easy to grow. Its just that its tolerance range is so narrow.

Of all cyps, acaule is the hardest to grow from seed,or in non-mycorrhizal media. The only success story, and it was qualified success, was with a 50:50 mixture of sand and milled sphagnum. The thing about acaule is that in the right conditions...which is very sandy and very acidic, with very low nutrients, it is actually pretty easy to grow. Its just that its tolerance range is so narrow.

Eric, it is easy to grow if You keep the pH-value below 4.5. In that case the substrate doesn't matter.
That was told to Hakone a lot of times but he ignores.

Eric and Berthold do you have photos from your acaule .

My photos are so old they are not on my computer! I actually wrote an article on acaule cultivation for the old defunct Native American Orchid Journal. Olaf contacted me, and translated it into German for Die Orchidee. The plants I wrote about finally expired, about 25 years after being planted. I think it may have been fungus infection. I still have others, accumulated over the years.

No, You didn't buy them. It was a donation from me. And You killed them all.

donation would be wrong. What did you get from me, you are not remember. Are the Pleione still living.

Sir Berthold,

I'm very worried about your memory.

Latest posts

Back